05 seems low on power

jedeka

I replaced auto transmission three weeks ago, because transmission would randomly slip during the 2/3 shift. Now, it seems like I'm low on power. I hadn't driven truck very hard before tranny installation, because I didn't want to get stranded. I have changed fuel filter and cleaned air filter. When I take off from a stop sign, I can push pedal to the floor. If I did that before, I could feel the truck almost losing traction. I'm not getting any smoke out the tailpipe, but I used to get a little bit when accelerating. It starts and idles fine. Fuel pressure at idle is 6500-6900. When accelerating, fuel pressure goes to 22,700 and boost hits 48#. I can hold my hands on fuel line coming off CP3 and it doesn't get hot. I'm not gaining oil on the dipstick. I'm running out of ides.

I put the same stall Goerend triple disk that I took out. I believe it is the 17SS.

Last edited:
I hooked up my scanne, again and hauled a load of stalk bales. My pedal opening percentage hits 100% before my pedal hits the floor. I have another 2-3" of travel yet.

I calibrated the apps but it's not any better. I have a Stainless Diesel 2G manifold kit on the truck and using a BD wastegate fooler. It ohms out at 148k, but I'm getting a P0234 code(boost limit exceeded). Will this code cause a limp mode? This code does not trip the CEL, just stores it and I find it when I read codes with scan tool. Can the wastegate fooler go bad, even when it ohms out correctly?

Waste gate fooled shouldn't cause limp mode, and neither will that code in my experience.

Are 100% sure you have a clean fuel filter? What type/brand lift pump are you running? What is your pump fuel pressure?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I installed a new Wix fuel filter about 10 days ago. The truck has a stock in-tank lift pump. I haven't checked LP pressure, since my scanner doesn't read LP pressure. Truck has 206,xxx miles on it. Probably need to get fittings to read LP pressure.

Any wires get pinched in the trans swap?
I wouldn't rule out a crappy transmission rebuild, either, since the thing ran fine before the rebuild, but not after.
I've seen where a rebuilt transmission can hang up internally and it seems for the world like the engine lost power, then it turns out to be clutches or bands too tight, or hanging up.

Still, look and see if you have an electrical issue, anyway.

Mark.

My MAP sensor is reading 14 psi at an idle. If I shut the truck off and watch MAP sensor reading on the scan tool, it stays at 14 psi, but fuel rail pressure drops to 0. Voltage is 1.2v at idle up to 4.2v at hard acceleration.

There are some harness connectors near the transmission that connect to the harness going back to the fuel tank and other accessories. Check some of those, also check around on some ground wires, loose grounds will do strange things on these pickups.

I'm wondering if I didn't have a bad tank of fuel. I filled my tank the other day and seems to be running better. I need to get my Smarty Touch software issue fixed, then I'm ready for a tune.

stupid question.... does a scan tool show you are actually starting off in 1st or 2nd gear? that trans can start off in 3rd gear if it is commanded to do so (limp mode)

Back