Best U-joint?

Valair1

Valair Inc. Clutch
I got to pull my tranny in the 06, so I figured I would go ahead and change the u-joints, so any opinions?

Why in the hell would you want non-greasable? My rear OEM joints didn't last 25k, same with my dads chevy 1500, the front axle shaft joints barely made it 40k. Even the ones that looked good had no bearings left, were all dry and pulverized.

Why in the hell would you want non-greasable? My rear OEM joints didn't last 25k, same with my dads chevy 1500, the front axle shaft joints barely made it 40k. Even the ones that looked good had no bearings left, were all dry and pulverized.

strength.....greasable means the middle is hollow

greasable doesn't have a long service life compared to their greasable counterparts.. But you can press a joint out and pack more grease into out if you want..

strength.....greasable means the middle is hollow
....and you've seen how many joints break because they were greasable? I think this is more internet ballpark facts, especially for a street truck.

greasable doesn't have a long service life compared to their greasable counterparts.. But you can press a joint out and pack more grease into out if you want..
Well since we've sold semi's with close to a million miles with all original joints I beg to differ on they're service life. Seriously? who the hell is going to press out a joint to add grease?

You can speculate on the life span and strength of greasable but I know for a fact non greasable is junk. The greasable ones I replaced the OEM ones with lasted 3 times longer. Here is one of those long life super strong non greasable joints. Joint was so unbelievably strong that the bearings disintegrated and killed the cap:hehe:
IMG00024-20090529-0912.jpg

Last edited:
....and you've seen how many joints break because they were greasable? I think this is more internet ballpark facts, especially for a street truck.

Well since we've sold semi's with close to a million miles with all original joints I beg to differ on they're service life. Seriously? who the hell is going to press out a joint to add grease?

You can speculate on the life span and strength of greasable but I know for a fact non greasable is junk. The greasable ones I replaced the OEM ones with lasted 3 times longer. Here is one of those long life super strong non greasable joints. Joint was so unbelievably strong that the bearings disintegrated and killed the cap:hehe:

When a 250HP Cummins snaps ears off of greasable u-joints i would say there is a huge difference. And when Spicer themselves states that the greasable joint is weaker? Semi U-joints are a completely different beast, they are literally 5 times the size of what we run, are also bolted in or strapped in, not just clipped in.

Even Spicer recommends NON greasable in high HP applications as they will take the abuse longer and better than a hollow greasable. Only benefit a greasable gives is for those that get in water and mud alot to put fresh grease in.

Read my post again,
I said non greasable doesn't last as long as greasable,
I will still only use solid joints on the car, despite life span. 48 bucks every 3 years isn't as bad as twisting the back end of my trans off when a hollow one explodes under a boosted launch into lockup... And that's what the op is looking for, strongest, not a hole opinions on which one lasts longer logging street miles

When a 250HP Cummins snaps ears off of greasable u-joints i would say there is a huge difference. And when Spicer themselves states that the greasable joint is weaker? Semi U-joints are a completely different beast, they are literally 5 times the size of what we run, are also bolted in or strapped in, not just clipped in.

Even Spicer recommends NON greasable in high HP applications as they will take the abuse longer and better than a hollow greasable. Only benefit a greasable gives is for those that get in water and mud alot to put fresh grease in.
It's all proportional dude, they're way bigger but seeing way more torque.

Man, after reading this I'm going out today and switching everything to non-greasable. And for the 3 years I abused my '05 (twin turbo/twin CP3 around 600hp) with greasable joints I didn't know I was playing with fire. And to think I could have killed someone.:bang:hehe:
Funny how I didn't break one @ 600hp but a 250hp truck did......hmmm.:pop:

Faulkner you sound like a douche... An you had twins an dual cp3's an you only made "around 600" ?? Just for that I think you lack intelligence.. An what will be stronger just from common sense a hollow piece of metal or a solid piece?? I'm going to like seeing your reply...

Faulkner you sound like a douche... An you had twins an dual cp3's an you only made "around 600" ?? Just for that I think you lack intelligence.. An what will be stronger just from common sense a hollow piece of metal or a solid piece?? I'm going to like seeing your reply...
Your such a stupid phuckstick. So what part don't you believe, the fact I had the truck or the fact I didn't want a 1000hp street truck? :hehe: What you should be questioning is the 250hp truck blowing u-joints in two. I've seen more trucks blow apart ring/pinions than joints. I don't know about you but I'd rather replace diff's than $10 u-joints.:what:

If you like solid so much buy OX joints, sure they won't last a month with no lube but hey we can't have 250hp trucks shredding drivelines can we?

Not really sure what the point of this thread is now....I always ran greasable joints in my cummins and I beat the Hell out of it doing 4x4 launches with around 500hp and never had any problems, your trading off service life for strength with the solid joint and some people just don't care, and that's fine, its not my truck

Last edited:
my truck has non greasable joints from the factory, and at 160K on the ticker,and just a few ponies over 600 hp, I havent had a problem, I thought I would replace them since I now have the tranny out.and looking for opinions. thanks to those that did just that. lol

my truck has non greasable joints from the factory, and at 160K on the ticker,and just a few ponies over 600 hp, I havent had a problem, I thought I would replace them since I now have the tranny out.and looking for opinions. thanks to those that did just that. lol

My non greasable joints have over 230k on them. But if driveshafts were in my hands it would get new one's also.

Back