Ultimate Tow Rig BUILD

You must have the most patient wife & family! No one can claim "roots are about to grow under his ass"! You certainly stay busier than a 1 legged man in an ass kicking contest!

I admire your drive!

What prevents you from swapping the VIN? Seems like that’d be less of an issue than dealing with inspections and licensing a deleted 08 down the road.

He’s in south Texas. Law enforcement is busier chasing down illegals than ticketing every deleted oil rig truck running the black top.

Looks like a sweet project Bodie. Race truck taking a back burner?

That is too shadey for me... Getting an inspection is not a problem, if they want to give me a ticket for no DPF, then so be it. I would rather deal with that, then get a cop that realizes they didnt make mega cabs in 2004 and start to treat the truck as a stolen vehicle.

I have never heard of anyone getting DPF tickets locally, and my truck will sound stock so I dont see all of this to be necessary.

Excited to see this one built! I’ve been kicking around the idea of building a mega long bed dually for a while now. Just haven’t found the right donors yet.

The only concern I’d have titling it as the 08, is that on paper it will always remain a 2500. Technically it would be all 3500 and be able to handle any weight you wanted to hook to it, but would you be overweight when you’re on the road? Maybe in Texas you can have it “reverified” or something for the increased towing/weight capacity? This I do not know...

Doing a western hauler style bed or a more traditional flatbed?

I just don’t understand. These days I can barely make myself do a brake job, and here you are building a race truck and juggling three others to make a tow rig? How?

You must have the most patient wife & family! No one can claim "roots are about to grow under his ass"! You certainly stay busier than a 1 legged man in an ass kicking contest!

I admire your drive!

I have always had a lot of things going on so my family and friends are used to it. Most just sit back, laugh, and shake their heads as I run myself into the ground for a stupid truck. :doh:LOL

For work, I sit in an office all day, so when the day is over I put on my holey clothes and thrash until my wife or kids come get me. It is a balance for sure, not something I have ever been great at, but I do make an effort to drop the tools and dedicate some time for the family.

We are working to build a new place on 8 acres by my parents, and I have already got all the red iron and some of the tin to build a 40x180' shop. I have never had more than a 2 car garage to work in, so to say I am excited is an understatement. So, when that shop is built, my productivity will go through the roof!

He’s in south Texas. Law enforcement is busier chasing down illegals than ticketing every deleted oil rig truck running the black top.

Looks like a sweet project Bodie. Race truck taking a back burner?

Nah, just slowed it down a little. There isnt much racing going on down here this year, so I am taking my time with the new truck. I still have the 03 to race in the mean-time. I just got through changing some things on it, just need to take it testing before the next no-prep race here in town. I keep the new race truck in the garage at my house, so I work on it in the evenings when I can.

I got the 2012 almost completely stripped down this weekend, all I lack is pulling the dash. This truck seems to be a flood truck though... the engine is rusty, but it will clean up. The crank will need some work though. I am debating on using this shortblock for my drag truck, and just rebuild an 03-04 5.9 and slap a good 6.7 head/injectors/electronics on it. Im not 100% though.

544cdd5e3e997925c8b7d5d8122f9c8c.jpg

eb1b337fca52fa8f86a3b9326f8a6c3f.jpg

789be0fae134e11ebc199e96f4d5a9a6.jpg

759e97d2b0fde6373d1c8e3d3d3ff3d1.jpg

d26f835e567f11a42b134b9799f7ba6e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
That cab has to be worth something...actually a bunch of parts i see sitting there could recoup a significant amount of cash for you!

Excited to see this one built! I’ve been kicking around the idea of building a mega long bed dually for a while now. Just haven’t found the right donors yet.

The only concern I’d have titling it as the 08, is that on paper it will always remain a 2500. Technically it would be all 3500 and be able to handle any weight you wanted to hook to it, but would you be overweight when you’re on the road? Maybe in Texas you can have it “reverified” or something for the increased towing/weight capacity? This I do not know...

Doing a western hauler style bed or a more traditional flatbed?

Same here, I had pretty much just given up trying to find a mega cab roller but this one was from a buddy that heard what I wanted to do. Im not concerned about all the titling details, I will worry about it if I ever get pulled over. :bang

I am going to build the bed, it will be skirted and have tool boxes built into the sides with a extra fuel tank and on board air. I will paint the bed to match the truck, and Raptor Line the top area.

So I have a guy coming to pick up the 2012 roller in a couple days but i still have to finish pulling the dash and wiring.

It looks like the 2012 dash may fit in the 2008 cab pretty well, I havent seen anything online of other people doing this conversion so idk. The main thing I am worried about is getting the things I cant just swap from the 2012 to work, so I am going to have to make the 2008 parts work with the 2012 harness.

Window switches
Window motors
Door open sensors
Seat belt sensors
ABS sensors

I bought the information from AutoDataDIY and I want to just cut out all of the emissions sensors/modules. I am just not sure if the ECM needs the modules or not even though it has a delete file. This would cut the wiring almost in half if I can just get rid of it all. I am just going to try to use the connectors off the 08 harness, on the 2012 harness an hope it all works.

Another issue is the HVAC box... I am going to have to take a look at trying to make the 2012 fir in 2008 cab...

I will get some pictures tonight of pulling the wiring and dash.

Last edited:
A lot of people don’t tow in the Rockies otherwise they’d be all about that vgt lyfe.

Sweet project. I want to do something really similar minus the fourth gen interior and the cp3’s.

Finally got the truck gutted and sold. I will drop the block, crank, and head off at the machine shop next week. I should also pick up the mega cab soon.

0b4cedd6302993bda91f73f29c271dee.jpg

bfd2d6acb91860be7f25a055f136d711.jpg

db56789587874ed5c6bba69d9185a612.jpg

0560e707a69e9e733a6574fef39b00b4.jpg

Took a week off work, just gonna send pics. I’ll do all the description next week.

bc75644ad57a104ab3fc3053209c2850.jpg

4fe53f0cccbdb75fd1f0c528f67eca2d.jpg

90756d89cd74b54e41e66a3fd8ef241d.jpg

c4cdcfc502bae725b722de08f25fb94f.jpg

7b97df996705c689df5b387c8e4fa2d4.jpg

2012 wiring and dash is in. Fuse boxes, battery box, pedals, steering column all bolted right in. I dropped the block, crank, and head off at the machine shop so I will just be waiting on that so I can drop the drivetrain in the truck and see if everything works.

294f003647f6dcc1e9b86eb60c3ab404.jpg

a3a377f3e47f55a6e7bb6de1af67d7ce.jpg

So 4th gen and HVAC box and dash bolts into a 3rd gen cab. Any girls modifications required?
You’re going to have that sucker running in a month, or less.

Back