Is a 700 hp 7.3 possible?

What it takes to make a 700 hp 7.3
71f1fb09670eb255e0b61438735ae4e7.jpg

So you are saying there's a chance?
Son of a ..... I just realized realized I made a typo in the title of this thread.

His story sounds far fetched to me. 8 grand suncoast?? really? that is a flag to me. a 98mm exducer turbo would not flow the air needed for 700hp. Also if it is 98mm inducer it would never light till north or close to 3000 RPMs.

I would say no he is just blowing smoke.

Don't forget to factor in labor. He couldn't do it himself.

The way I see it different strokes for different folks. I know I have never been impressed by a 7.3, and I'll never own one. But that's just me. I'm a simple man and like to see more power per dollar.

But I do love fords, and my dream truck just would be a 6.4 ccsb. With rear captain chairs

I did my own 7.3 my self. It did not take much to do it. Just tools and time. But I hear you there! Must do not do it themselves.

I agree the 5.9 P-Pump are hard to beat for making cheap power. till a point. Then it coast just as much to make it. injection pumps and injectors still are not cheap. CR they are another story. In all honesty I think they my be the cheapest. Well to the 800 to 1000 RWHP range.

I've never got the whole "7.3 is the best engine ever". Every one I've been around got terrible mileage and ate $100 parts frequently.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

The 7.3 is what made the rest sit up and take notice. Back in the day they were the hot engine. I got 17 to 18 with mine all the time. depending on the load 10 to 12.5.. Mine never ran through parts. other then a CPS. 25$ and on the road again.

Now I am getting side tracked. LOL

His story sounds far fetched to me. 8 grand suncoast?? really? that is a flag to me. a 98mm exducer turbo would not flow the air needed for 700hp. Also if it is 98mm inducer it would never light till north or close to 3000 RPMs.

I would say no he is just blowing smoke.

I did my own 7.3 my self. It did not take much to do it. Just tools and time. But I hear you there! Must do not do it themselves.

I agree the 5.9 P-Pump are hard to beat for making cheap power. till a point. Then it coast just as much to make it. injection pumps and injectors still are not cheap. CR they are another story. In all honesty I think they my be the cheapest. Well to the 800 to 1000 RWHP range.

The 7.3 is what made the rest sit up and take notice. Back in the day they were the hot engine. I got 17 to 18 with mine all the time. depending on the load 10 to 12.5.. Mine never ran through parts. other then a CPS. 25$ and on the road again.

Now I am getting side tracked. LOL
What do you mean "sit up and take notice"? The cummins was out 6 years before the 7.3.

I really like my 7.3, and had visions of trying to make it decently quick when I first bought it...

That all went out the window the second week of ownership. Sure it's a good truck for pushing snow in the winter and hauling equipment in the summer but a quick truck it ain't. It's a good engine, but not the god of all diesel motors that's for sure. I can't stand people who think it is either, they just sound like idiots

Not everyone needs to have a 500hp daily driver. I'm perfectly happy with my 375hp 7.3. It pulls everything I have need it to. Is it the fastest thing on the road no put it doesn't need to be.

I have owned mine for 10yrs and 80k miles. I have done a CPS,Ball joints, and alt. that's it. Really can't complain about that.

The 78 bronco we are building should have close to 600hp on a stock 300k bottom end. 250/200 is usually the max size be for rods fail. But 160/stocks, wicked wheel, adrenaline seem to be an awesome setup on a 7.3....

What do you mean "sit up and take notice"? The cummins was out 6 years before the 7.3.

It is basically the engine that started the "power" Struggle. That's what i meant by it.

""""While the performance figures of the 7.3L Powerstroke are relatively low by today standards, The engine is largely responsible for fueling the race between Ford,Dodge and GM in the marketplace."""

Not my words. But quoted from a web sight on diesels. It was a leader in lots of ways. When it came out it was 210hp while the 5.9 was 175hp. The 6.5 of the year was 180hp. It took till 2003 for the 5. to "up" the 7.3 HP and torque numbers. Unless you bought the"sport" version.

Basically it comes down to this.. Its a age old argument that gets older with age.. LOL I could care less in all honesty. I like both the 7.3 and 5.9. If Ford gave a choice I might have went with the 5.9L. All 4 7.3 we had were dead reliable in stock form and with light mods.

Its hard to beat turning a screw and adjusting the rack though on the older 5.9s.

I am glad there was "power" struggles. If there never was we would not have the power with warranty we have today. Just to bad the emissions stuff is the way it is though.

two facts though. The 5.9 and 7.3L are the longest lasting engine put in pickups to date. Both have had 1 million mile engines.

Most guys around here talk bad about the 7.3. Funny thing is they have never owned or ever drove one.... Thats not the case hear though.

I would own any of the big three. just prefer Ford. I like them all though. Well it would have to be 01 and up GM... I do not like the 6.2 and 6.5.....

I did own one, 12 mpg and slow. I don't hate them, I just hate the "best ever" designation the 7.3 gets.

I did own one, 12 mpg and slow. I don't hate them, I just hate the "best ever" designation the 7.3 gets.

I understand. Most people mean it as best ford ever had. Then you get the ones that dont.

yea there are bad ones in every run. My parents is the same way. Its getting tired so to speak. Mine and my two brothers all do good and get 17 to 19 on the highway. There is bad ones in every batch. It would be interesting to pull one apart and see why is the way it is. Did you ever check the compression? Sounds like it is low.

No, I only had it for a few months. It ate a set of glowplugs and a cam sensor in that time and I was over it.

Not sure what kind of numbers he's puttin down but Zack pierces truck has got to be gettin up around there. He's got a burgandy f250 with a 6.0 front end conversion. He just ran a 7.0 or 7.03 at rudys I think. He pulls at the track up the road and races at the local strip. Last time I talked to him he wouldn't say how much he made. But I know he's got a pile of money in it and has built the motor from the ground up more than once haha

No, I only had it for a few months. It ate a set of glowplugs and a cam sensor in that time and I was over it.

My 95 ate a cps , ipr , icp, lift pump, two return lines and a trans in about a year . Sold it . I loved the truck though , interior , exterior they're solid and functional
A local guy builds them I asked what it would take to make 700 hp years ago , his response was " drop it off and give me 35k " .... Good guy but That's what's he's got in his 97 and it's almost there .
Granted there's lots of jet coat and polished parts but I would never drop that kind of money on that power train . So many people jump on the brand loyalty band wagon without weighing the options . For 35k even 20k you could be in a 4 door common rail with efi and much happier .

For 25 or 30 you could have a really nice 600hp cr in a ford, which is my new plan (hopefully for much less than that )

Back