Building a shop

Why would you waste time with 25yr galvanized whenever they can paint it and have 40yr warranty? A building that size would only be an extra $1000 for paint.

If you want to keep the critters out, have someone do spray insulation on the walls. It will creep into every opening you can't even see

Bench is coming soon once I’m back home from travel. Need to install final door and have windstorm inspect the structure. Then it can be insured.

The reason I chose Galvalume for the roof is I have walked many 25+ year old roofs with the same metal and seen no I’ll effect. And the cost was more than $1,000 to have a colored roof, I checked. Does it rust or need attention sooner, yes. That’s why we have a Graco 333 airless. The funds for a color roof went elsewhere in the budget.

And I won’t be using spray foam. It is not the be all end all insulation answer most think it is. If a panel on the wall is damaged due to a storm, spray foam will make it a pain to replace. I don’t like to build and assume something will never move or be expanded upon. I know myself better than that.

be2534a5942ecd04377f46fb2b654799.jpg

8dc7f5bafe1972f5844274c9e6b7c4be.jpg

d012d705845ba4f42de12b156872d190.jpg

8fd78b087f99fcae1406c0b19629c4fa.jpg

Last edited:
Mouse proof the schidt out of the backsides of the walls. We can hear them using the perlins as a racetrack an night in ours. $.02

I remember you stating that earlier. Definitely taking this into consideration. Doing my best to keep them out of the building all together. We keep several bait traps around the premises with “food” in them all the time. It’s been a full time job to keep up with it, but I’ve made a nice dent in their population.
Honestly, they consume the most “food” under the hood of my trucks, on the batteries. Each truck has poison packets on the batteries, all the time.

Are those beams 12”? What kind of head room do you have on the second floor? What is the over all size of the living space?

Last edited:
W8x13 beams 20’ long. Living area is 21’x16’. I let the beams run long past the 16’ wall and free hang for closet space on the 2nd floor. 2nd floor is 21’x20’. This way I can still park two trucks in the building and close the door if bad weather comes along.

Eve heights are only 15’ on the building. So ceiling heights are around 7’ on both floors. Not ideal for someone who’s 6’3” tall, but this is all 2 year temporary until the house is built.

My fiancé (girlfriend at the time) and I decided we wanted to get married this year. We decided this 2 weeks after ordering the building. Had I known, the eves would have been 16’ and a 2 on 12 roof pitch. Which would accommodate taller ceiling heights for living area.

We figured building this was better than throwing money away at renting a place for the time being.

Last edited:
W8x13 beams 20’ long. Living area is 21’x16’. I let the beams run long past the 16’ wall and free hang for closet space on the 2nd floor. 2nd floor is 21’x20’. This way I can still park two trucks in the building and close the door if bad weather comes along.

Eve heights are only 15’ on the building. So ceiling heights are around 7’ on both floors. Not ideal for someone who’s 6’3” tall, but this is all 2 year temporary until the house is built.

My fiancé (girlfriend at the time) and I decided we wanted to get married this year. We decided this 2 weeks after ordering the building. Had I known, the eves would have been 16’ and a 2 on 12 roof pitch. Which would accommodate taller ceiling heights for living area.

We figured building this was better than throwing money away at renting a place for the time being.

Hey I get it. My wife and I lived in a similar setup. Don’t get too carried away on the living space. By the time ours was done. I could have built the dang house. LOL. I am in the process of building another shop now. This one has a 16’ ceiling. I asked about your beams because I am going to build a hobby room inside with a loft above. I’ll need to put a beam in and I’ve been thinking about how to maximize head room. I’m trying to avoid setting the floor joist on top the beam. I might borrow your idea.

Do yourself a favor and go with 16’ eve’s on your next building.

Overall it worked well with the floor joist intersecting into my I-beams. 2x6’s southern pine can only span about 9’ with 40lbs live load and 10lbs dead load. I spaced my beams so that my 2x6 floor joist are 80” in length. Which worked well for the pile of 2x6x14’ I bought at Lowe’s for 50% off.

I’m starting to see what you’re saying about not spending too much on the temporary living area. I plan to have 4x8 sheets of 3/4” foam for my ceilings. Cheapest of the cheap.

Been busy and making head way. Dad and future father in law have been busy framing and I’m plumbing all the drains in.
Talked with Smokenrebel about electrical and all set on how to properly wire this place. Need to order electrical stuff today and start wiring next week.

Ordered two Brinno time lapse cameras to capture some of this work. Kind of late to consider this but I’m excited to capture the time lapse of the progress.

Tight plumbing quarters in 2x6 joist bays for 2nd floor toilet. Pic taken from 1st floor bathroom.
79b40645a5ab53000ebcd9fd6e885d7a.jpg

Plumbing around a beam support column instead of through it. That’s the handy part about working inside an existing building. Less drilling through studs to run drains. Just take some forward thinking and planning.
71a8cd4de906bbe7f49a434c776a8bcb.jpg

Upstairs half bath located directly above downstairs for easier plumbing and venting. Hope to only have one roof penetration for all vents.
bfa98e80101cad93fdda36de050cdc18.jpg

2nd floor wall toward the shop. 2’closet door.
1c8bd3ecafa5ff3cb130cfef4100238a.jpg

Two 3’ French doors here for moving in all the large items up stairs. Plan to use the fork lift instead of the stairs. Once moved in, washer and dryer will be placed behind those doors on the balcony area. Doors open inward.
fa74df143c77fb9b4808d6b70c483720.jpg

I didn’t take into account for the middle rafter going through the closet. So we just framed around it.
e37fddc3f6069d7872db1eae7d246328.jpg

Another view from inside the closet.
bb1ac8ede59a52a8d85fdd6ede8ecf26.jpg

Tied the ceiling to the purloin brace just for grins. Have done this in a few other areas also. Should be a fairly rigid 2nd floor.
aa090f2587e2ca2602359fd55bf313c2.jpg

View from the walk through door into the shop. Scaffolding needs to be taken down. It’s turning into a mobile work bench.
e3dd7eff93000f4365f07bd953b44efb.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of the ceiling joist being turned 90 deg. That looks like a saggy sheet rock mess waiting to happen.

1c8bd3ecafa5ff3cb130cfef4100238a.jpg

Back