2006 ram key won't turn this morning. Computer issue or just the lock cylinder ?

SCHMITTY

Not enough time
Is this common on 3rd gens ? Idk if I should tap the spare key in with a hammer or what ? Not on a hill or anything .

Nothing electrical in the key switch/tumblers to lock it down.

Try turning the steering wheel, sometimes they bind the lock assembly up and cause this.
A shot of graphite might help the issue, too.

Mark.

Are they tied to the brake assembly like some vehicles Mark? Some you have to stab the brake to turn the key.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Nothing electrical in the key switch/tumblers to lock it down.

Try turning the steering wheel, sometimes they bind the lock assembly up and cause this.
A shot of graphite might help the issue, too.

Mark.

Yeah if you kill the engine and pull the key with the wheel clocked all the way in one direction it definitely will happen! Gotta pull hard towards the turned direction while putting key in to get past!

Steering wheel actually moves back and forth with the key out. Wheels are straight also. At least it happened right in front of the shop door.

Sounds like it wore out or has a damaged tumbler in there.
Or possibly frozen condensation.
Sometimes rattling the switch with a hammer on a key will help.

If you have to replace it, you'll probably have to have the SKIM reset, unless it's separate from the switch, which I think it is.
Been awhile since I've been in there.

Mark.

The temps have been around zero this week. I took a heat gun to it with out luck. No luck with the hammer trick either - nearly spilt the plastic off my 70$ chipped spare key. I have some penetrating oil. Then I guess I'll pull it apart.

Thanks for the tips

A couple minutes of rapid light taps with a rubber mallet on the key while rocking it back and forth got it freed up for now. The last week it started having a mis as it revs down from high idle. Damn 3rd gen is burning up my 12 valve money.

Blow some graphite in there.
Locks do NOT like oils of any type, it causes them to bind when the debris from the keys or tumblers ball up in the oil.

Mark.

Good to know. I had an old can of Telflex aerosol graphite . I tested it outside to make sure it wouldn't freeze. Blasted the ignition a couple times and work the key around.

So if I change the cylinder I'll need new chipped Keys won't I ?

Shouldn't need new keys.
Dissect one, I think the chip can be swapped, if not, the key stem itself can.
IIRC, the receiver is located around the lock housing, where the tumbler assembly slides in.

Mark.

No you won’t need new keys with the new cylinder, just code the new lock cylinder to the old key. Dealer can do this.

Cool. I'm taking the truck to them to re flash the tipm in hopes that the low beams will come back and also to fix a steering recall

Back