Shop toolbox

I have these. Got them both off Craigslist. Paid 3k for the 4s triple bay 72" and then 225 for the cart.

IMG_20131218_141312897.jpg

4s boxes are affordable used and have great drawers. Use mine every day at work and it's awesome.

y6u2esus.jpg

I'm looking at a 4s just like that on Craigslist for $3000. Ugly lime green looking paint, I love it!
And I 100% agree with everyone that has suggested buying used. The only things I usually buy brand new for me is bearings and piston rings.
Also I just found out only certain tools are available through the student program and the biggest box they have is the classic 78...I was wanting the 96,

Boxes don't make you any money. The tools inside do. I would spend more money on that and just piece meal boxes together. I would have to be overflowing with tools extremely bad before I upgraded my box.

I have a decent homak box that gets the job done...but now that I have consolidated most of my tools into that box it is overflowing.

Boxes don't make you any money. The tools inside do. I would spend more money on that and just piece meal boxes together. I would have to be overflowing with tools extremely bad before I upgraded my box.

While this is partially true, I'll have to disagree. With how many times you're getting into that box in one day you'll appreciate a quality box. Also having space to keep your tools organized makes you more efficient and overall a better mechanic. Your boss will notice stuff like that. Maybe give you a raise, so yes it can make you money.

While this is partially true, I'll have to disagree. With how many times you're getting into that box in one day you'll appreciate a quality box. Also having space to keep your tools organized makes you more efficient and overall a better mechanic. Your boss will notice stuff like that. Maybe give you a raise, so yes it can make you money.

This...

If I have to spend more than 2 seconds looking for a tool in my box, it's not worth my time to be doing it. It better be organized OCD style and everything have it's own place. I completely disagree with running an old ragged box with crap flowing out of it. To each his own on that kinda stuff though.

http://www.mactools.com/shoponline/product/tabid/120/p-319290-19-drawer-work-station.aspx

That is what I work out of everyday. I don't mind it. My only problem is the snap on drawers are better. Mine just don't slide as easy. We have a 20 bay shop so its constantly moving. I will be going bigger when I can afford it. I want a large epic that's on the snap on truck. In my opinion tool organization is very important but so is having the right tools. I buy a lot of specialty stuff that is easier on my body and saves me time. When I got my box snap on only offered the 78 at a discount and that is to small for me.

Craigslist and pawn shops are the places to look. People will go and get a $300 dollar loan from a pawn shop and put their new 2000 dollar box down for collateral and never come back for it.

Cornwell is a less talked about brand you could look for also. Matco's and cornwell's boxes are made my the same company so they are very similar to each other.

Get on craigslist. I bout mine for $3200. Screw those student deals. Classic series boxes from snap on are cheap. Krl and epics are nice but I love my matco. Drawers are more sturdy. Dont have stupid plastic sliders to open drawers like snap on. I can pull any drawer all the way out and jump on it. Slides love it. Mac is now owned by Stanley. Im not a fan. Some of there tools are identical to harbor frright.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1389579818652.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1389579818652.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 0

Here is what I work out of, KRL1033. Paid $2300 and gave my old box(gave $2100 for it) on trade. I also got 4 updates for my Solus Pro and a kick ass trash an for free.

Last edited:

Here is what I work out of, KRL1033. Paid $2300 and gave my old box(gave $2100 for it) on trade. I also got 4 updates for my Solus Pro and a kick ass trash an for free.

I want the epic version of that box. There is a flat Black one on the truck right now and I can get the box for like 5k. Just can't justify it yet. I want to get more specialty tools first. Really would like a laptop setup with insite. Do you like the solus? I don't have a box scanner at the moment

Ive had it for two years and it does everything I need. From programming Duramax injector flow data, to key fobs and TPMS. I was a tech for 7 years and made good money, nut quit last march shortly after GM pulled out.

Sounds like I might need to invest in one. I will probably have about 6-7 years in when I am done with my engineering degree. I love my job, but everything is going to little thinking and more parts changers. Scared for the future to be honest.

I agree, there were 5 guys that were working there that went to school and graduated with a degree, but barely know anything. It sucked not making the least amount of money in the who and having everyone come to you for answers. My best years were $48,000 and worst was $29,000 until I got put on salary.

I agree that the real world is the best place to gain experience and knowledge, but if your stupid/ignorant, your going to be stupid/ignorant with or without a degree. I wanted to use my gi bill and be the first in my family to get some type of degree.

I got a really nice snap on box for sale it is 4 months old and I am switching from working in the shop to building pumps. So I dont need it anymore it is the SS sereies black and red really nice box in great shape message me if you want more info!!

Back