2 micron fuel filter settup?

9 LIVES

Demolition Expert
I've been getting metal shavings in my fuel filter. So im told that the standard fuel filters for my 2012 aren't a sufficient micron rating that I need to upgrade to a 2 micron system.

Anyone have suggestions on who's kit works the best?

So many different kits to choose from....some are just fuel filters, some have fuel filter & water separator. One mounts under the hood another mounts on the frame rail.

I have CAT filters on my FASS, but I also mounted a 2 mic filter under hood just before the IP with a gauge.

Last edited:
I would just buy fleetgaurd filter bases and u can put whatever filters u want on. And also in any location. Fass has a filter cross reference sheet on their website that also gives micron spec.

I've been getting metal shavings in my fuel filter. So im told that the standard fuel filters for my 2012 aren't a sufficient micron rating that I need to upgrade to a 2 micron system.

Anyone have suggestions on who's kit works the best?

I try to run Cat filters on everything I own. I even have Cat hydraulic filters on my log splitter. Caterpillar filters are made with better quality and materials than just about any other brand.

Since we are on the subject, does anyone have a part number so i can run dual filters on my AD instead of 1 filter and 1 separator? the threads are different for the water separator

I would just buy fleetgaurd filter bases and u can put whatever filters u want on. And also in any location. Fass has a filter cross reference sheet on their website that also gives micron spec.

This.

Get a cheap base with 1"-14 threads and you'll have plenty of filter choices. I run a Donaldson P553207

Looking for plug and play. I don't want to guess what fuel line size I need or have to "adapt"

Filter bases can be had from CAT, Cummins, other sources. The CAT # was changes to ORFS fittings for better seal and internals updated due to a loss of prime issue.

That filter is on the exergy filter base. Photos are on here.
25d94803635610371edef1e624c65b9e.jpg

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

How do you know which line is the right one to cut into? And what size the line is?

Will fuel free flow from the line once cut? I'd like to put a "kit" together my self. Only hang up is this truck generally is used for work 6 days a week. I have zero down time to search for parts if something doesn't fit right the first try.

How do you know which line is the right one to cut into? And what size the line is?

Will fuel free flow from the line once cut? I'd like to put a "kit" together my self. Only hang up is this truck generally is used for work 6 days a week. I have zero down time to search for parts if something doesn't fit right the first try.

Which is exactly why people pay for “kits”. I’m with you, my time is much too valuable.

I ran this kit on my old 12. It’s a well put together kit. I used Cat 1R-0750 filters. They’re cheap, easy to get and 2 micron.

12 6.7L GDP MK-2 + Big Line Kit

LightsOUT that's the exact kit I just put on about 2 weeks ago. Had it installed in an hour

Only down side is I can see changing the filter is going to be a little bit of a PITA.....any advise for the filter changes? And duration between filter changes?
I put the fleetguard filter that it came with on. The cat filter is around an inch longer then the fleetguard.

Your truck is deleted right? If so there wasn’t much of a hassle to change if I remember. The radiator hose is kind of a pain but that’s about it. The fleet guard filter is larger in diameter so that might make it tighter. Honestly I can’t remember anything unusual.

If money is no object, then change the filters with every oil change. If you’re trying to stretch a dollar then extend it out to every 15k. That’s the basic rule of them that I’ve used. It’s served me well for 20 years and a million miles driving diesel trucks.

Back