VW Jetta Wheel Bearing

SmokeShow

Sorry, I know this is off topic a bit but I know there's reasonable VW owner traffic here so I'm trying my luck.

Is it reasonably straight forward job to replace the driver's side front wheel bearing on an 02 Jetta? Any special tools needed?

Where to source these types of parts? My normal VW mechanic says about $50 for the good parts and about $120 labor but he can't seem to remember to order the part and I'm just getting a feeler for whether it's something I feel like tackling myself (i.e. simple and straight forward afternoon job) or worth paying him to do it?

Have you been using Bruce? I was fairly pleased with him.

I use Billy Warfield in Frankfort with the exception of Bruce doing the brakes for me when I first got it. I just didn't have time to do them and let Bruce do them. No complaints about Bruce at all. Billy is very knowledgeable about German vehicles, and much more convenient for me. He's more expensive since its a full fledged garage but his pricing isn't outta line by any means for a shop IMO.

Edit: Car has over 300k miles on it and came from Versailles. Bruce maintained it for the original owner up til around 200k miles and put slightly larger injectors in it.

Last edited:
Back