Holy Chit !! Where'd that compressor wheel go????

RacinDuallie

Black Sheep Racing
Well after seeing the picture of fellow PDRA member Scott Bentz's turbo blown apart, the first thing that came to my mind was: OMG! Where'd the compressor wheel go?!!! see pic here:

http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=3406&d=1180975940

So this morning I was talking to a DHRA guy about another issue, and the photo of the split turbo came up in our conversation.

We both agreed that there was a blessing in disguise that no-one was hurt. And that there needs to be some sort of restraint system to prevent a exploding turbo from possibly injuring a crew member, track personell or innocent bystander- spectator. He suggested a case restraint system. I took it a step further and suggested a metal shield that wraps around or partially cover the turbos.

What say you? as something needs to become of this BEFORE someone gets hurt!

DavidTD you have my number please call up and we can discuss this further. This situation needs qwick attention.

:thankyou2:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the call David, please keep in touch with your desision. Any insight we can offer we'll be glad to help out.

RacinDuallie said:
Well after seeing the picture of fellow PDRA member Scott Bentz's turbo blown apart, the first thing that came to my mind was: OMG! Where'd the compressor wheel go?!!! see pic here:

http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=3406&d=1180975940

So this morning I was talking to a DHRA guy about another issue, and the photo of the split turbo came up in our conversation.

We both agreed that there was a blessing in disguise that no-one was hurt. And that there needs to be some sort of restraint system to prevent a exploding turbo from possibly injuring a crew member, track personell or innocent bystander- spectator. He suggested a case restraint system. I took it a step further and suggested a metal shield that wraps around or partially cover the turbos.

What say you? as something needs to become of this BEFORE someone gets hurt!

DavidTD you have my number please call up and we can discuss this further. This situation needs qwick attention.

:thankyou2:

Jeff as we spoke on the phone, DHRA has rules in every class except for Top and Pro Diesel addressing this turbo situation. As I also mentioned on the phone the reason it has not been addressed is because to date there has not been an exploding turbo on these vehicles, and anytime we (DHRA) address safety concerns above what NHRA requires, we are met with total opposition.

As Director of Competition for the DHRA, after this weekend I have several safety issues I will revisit. No need to wait for DHRA or NHRA to make a rule if you (the driver, or owner, or teammate, etc.) think there is a need for it. Put it on the car.

But if a rule comes of this, I can't wait to hear the complaints. LOL

David, in light of what I seen on the pic posted- I will have shielding in place, one thing I do not want to happen is for someone to get hurt by my racer, so I will impliment a shield for this reason, if there's a rule that comes up and I need to change my shield, I will do so. I'm also looking into case restraints....

I believe that any time there is a externally exposed turbo, there should be a shield or cover to contain the carnage. Thanks, Brady

Brady, I have personally seen fragged compressor wheel pieces go thru fire walls and hoods of stocker bodied trucks. On the old Auto Wurks U-96 racer from back in the day I know they had 4 HX-40's make plenty of additional holes in the sheetmetal when these -40's were hit with spray....On fiberglass it would be much easier. My suggestion would be an aluminum shield of 1/4" thickness or a steel shield of 1/8" thickness.....

What say you guys? This is us racers showing responsibility for the safety of those around us and ourselves so lets bring the comments to light. Remember this is for safety!!!!

Last edited:
Safety is for sissys. Besides, that additional wait might slow me down.

Just kiddin'. :D My two turbos are gonna be partially exposed so I was thinking about making something anyway.

When you sign the waiver coming into the park should be enough for the safety measures.

If you don't feel comfortable with the fact of a piece of metal piercing your head and mach 5 speeds then stand back further?

Maybe a safety blanket like the mod sled pullers would help eh?

I am thinking a good tarp strap! (kidding)

First, DD and I spoke, and I am putting the air shutoff in the intake. Second, we have always ran a cage shield just in case. Have not hit it yet with 2 turbo explosions. I am going to put cables on the turbos so that in the future, the turbos will not seperate as far, and will not end up under the tires.

Live and learn....

Guys.. I don't remember what the spec is that the tractor pull sanctions use. I'll try to find it today and get it posted for you.

ABOBB said:
Guys.. I don't remember what the spec is that the tractor pull sanctions use. I'll try to find it today and get it posted for you.

Thanks! I'll keep my eyes out for that post! :thankyou2: :rockwoot:

if you wrap the turbo compressor and exahust housing and the mid section with high heat kevlar turbo wraping it will never go any where and would save everyone's excuses about weight.

OK guys.. now that I'm not on company time, and could do a little research without getting into trouble, I did some digging and found a rule book!!!

The rule in tractor pulling is that any turbo that is not within the normal engine shrouding must be covered with .060" steel.

Also... something else I noticed not present in the Bentz picture (don't mean to pick on you guys) is that there is no cross in the exhaust. A turbine wheel can exit more easily than the compressor wheel can... and with nasty results. There needs to be a rule that places two bolts 90* to each other and withing one inch in a cross pattern accross the exhaust.

Where did it go? TOO CLOSE TO ME!!!

I can't believe you dragracers run around with exposed ENGINES, let alone turbos.

Cover them up-now-don't wait for a rule.

Back