Shop warranty? More trouble.

6.boom

Unreliable
So to add to my bad luck.

When I first got my engine completely rebuilt in may with 2 new OEM heads and arp studs blahblahblah. Lots of other stuff. We were told by the shop that their work has a 12m/12k mile warranty. Cool. So 8k later I realize i have another blown head. I take the truck back, one thing leads to another, the verdict is it was a faulty cylinder head. Ford is covering the cost of the head itself. But they are not covering the labor. Here's where it gets fun. The shop is putting it on us to pay the labor. Claiming that they want $3k, which is "half" the labor. Granted they are doing everything cab on (NO idea why), and are pulling the other side too to check it.

Now this place has an in house machine shop, where most of their business comes from. It was said that the cylinder head had bad casting so this problem has been there since day one. So why in hell was this not looked over by the machine shop before installed? We payed them an ungodly amount of money to put in good parts. It's not our fault they installed faulty parts. However, they do not have the warranty promised to us on any of the previous invoices.

What should i do? :bang

That falls directly into the category of not your problem. Do not pay, its a parts and labour warranty right? Obviously it sucks for them but that's part of doing business....

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

3K is half the labor? No. Just no. At $75/hour that works out to a whole week. And that's only half... so, 2 weeks to change a head?

Tell them you went to them in the first place because of their good reputation and did not expect these kinds of problems. They'll say "Ford blahblah, 6.0 blahblah," but just keep turning it back on them. You're right to say they should have known the head was bad from the start. Keep saying they had such a good reputation. You've got to get an angle on them and work it...

But seriously... 6K to change a head? This is why people get shot.

That sounds like a Sh**ty shop! I know when if I would of had this issue when I was working on light duty I know the shop would have eaten this. If I was lucky I might have got couple hours pay for it.

I don't like second guessing anyones warranty decesions however, I can tell you that the exact situation happened to the shop that I am part owner of. I can tell you that the head was indeed defective. I can also tell you that we (as a shop) accepted the responsibility of the labor to exchange the head. We were not happy about it but in the end it was our responsibility to fight it out with the suppliers that we chose to get the heads from.

Certainly it didn't fall on the customer. We said we would fix their truck and that is exactlay what we did....

Is the 12/12 warranty standard with the shop? Is it posted clearly in the shop or on their website? If you can find it posted anywhere then I think you have a good fight.

I get ~38hrs to R&R a 6.0 headgaskets in a Econoline van. Which is remove trans, disassemble motor( remove oil pan, mounts and other gay crap) to pull out then do the HG and put the mess back together. Keep in mind that's on the floor with no hoists like most. So truck time would be ~ 11-15 is my guess with cab on. So they are charging close to 300 bucks a hour in labor. Sounds fair to me haha.

I'm wanting to know why anyone would put themselves through the hell of doing that job with cab on and engine in the truck.

3k is nuts, the fact they want you to pay is even more nuts.

Is the 12/12 warranty standard with the shop? Is it posted clearly in the shop or on their website? If you can find it posted anywhere then I think you have a good fight.

this. you need to find in writing that they offer any kind of warranty. verbal ain't gonna cut it. been there done that and had to pay regardless of the "warranty" stated.

Ok so I'm reviewing the invoices again. This is what reads at the bottom

All warranty claims for this product must originate at ___
Engine parts are machined in accordance with manufacturers specifications and warranted against defects in our workmanship only. Latent defects against breakage or malfunction after installation are neither expressed or implied. Not responsible for any down time or rental service. The factory warrant constitutes all of the warranties with respect to this/these items. No warrant on Performance, Non-OEM applications. All returns subject to 15% restocking charge.

Considering they INSTALLED a faulty part. Aren't they still at fault under their own warranty?

Nope says right there" in their workmanship only" sucks but they can charge. You need to go after ford for the junk heads! Make them pay the labor

Considering they have an in house machine shop. Isn't that fault in their workmanship? They didn't check it over properly

For $6,000 I need to start doing a lot of 6.0 head gasket replacements. That escentilly what they did

Back