View Single Post
Old 11-14-2017, 06:54 PM   #61
kjpcummins

Name: kjpcummins
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSieck View Post
I'm not sure why I typed smooth bore to be honest, it was probably already on my mind after working on the 2.6 smooth rules for our club. I don't have a preference to any particular size charger, just any single. But hanging a single 5.5" charger meant for a 680cu prostock on a 460cu motor probably won't work out that great..lol

The weight argument is kinda a toss up for me. I know that a diesel is going to weigh more than a gasser, but when you start throwing around tube frames and fiberglass bodies, that weight can drop pretty quick. I'm still in favor of not going over 8000lb for any sanctioned diesel truck class.

I was basing my assumptions by comparing the ssd4x4 trucks to the sm4x4 trucks, but didn't realize that there was almost 24-25" difference in wheelbase. I assumed they were all 158". Didn't know this till looking at the PPL rulebook while writing this post. So, yes, getting to light will be detrimental to driveline parts.
24-25 wheelbase difference is under 50lbs on a tube frame. If a superstock tractor has no problem hanging 1000+ at 6000lbs a ssd truck shouldn't have any moveable weight issues. A large single 5"+ works just fine on smaller cubic inch. Take a look at European prostock tractors. There will be two European prostocks at gordyville this year but they are at 510ci. The valtras that run 444ci run 5" plus chargers.