View Single Post
Old 10-04-2018, 08:26 AM   #20
Red Sleeper

Name: Red Sleeper
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Here is what I've found is needed once you start adding fuel and power to these engines. Having these parts on hand will keep you moving forward when doing a weekend modification, and not scrounging for last minute parts locally.

Adjust your throttle linkage so you are getting full travel from the linkage. Have someone work the peddle while you watch the linkage at the injection pump. You'll see. Once you add a fuel pin and governor spring, adjust your max fuel screw. Be careful of engine runaway when tuning this pump, have something flat to block of air into the engine. Here is a good article on how to tune these pumps.
Turning up the pre 94 Ram diesel injector pump

Low pressure piston lift pump. Just buy the kit and don't try to piece it together like I did. It’s usually recommended that you locktite the front seal on your injection pump when adding this pump. I have the pump on the shelf ready to install. Have not re-secured my front seal yet.
Low Pressure Piston Lift Pump - from The Hungry Diesel

#2 fuel pin from DennyT Performance. Dennis is an awesome guy who has a family run business and is a 1st gen fanatic.
Denny T Stage 2 Fuel Pin | Denny T Performance

79powerwagon on here is running a HE351 turbo on his 12v VE, he seems to really like the upgrade. Might ask him for more info. HE351's can be had pretty cheap in today's market. $200-$300. If you're hell bent on keeping the HC1 and need more air flow, here is an inexpensive option. $285 for this upgrade which makes a HE351 upgrade enticing.
Holset H1 Upgrade Compressor Housing Wheel combo (60mm) - CH-02 - Gillett Diesel Service Inc.

3200 rpm governor spring for $20. No use in getting a 4,000 rpm spring, I tried that. The VE doesn't fuel past 3,000 rpm anyways.
1st Gen Dodge 12V Cummins 3200RPM VE Governor Spring

You'll need a throttle shaft seal and gasket for the pump top once you crack open your pump to install the governor spring. Just buy the entire rebuild kit. You'll need it.
Dodge 5.9L VE Cummins Injection Pump Seal Kit

Upgraded valve springs to keep your valves from floating once you find new RPM's from that governor spring. Power Driven is the best bang for the buck on these.
12V VALVE SPRINGS - Power Driven Diesel

Inexpensive valve spring compressor if you don't already have one.
12v Cummins Valve Spring Compressor Tool - Power Driven Diesel

If you plan on swapping injectors, have these seals on hand.
12V Cummins Injector Installation Kit

You can delete the fuel heater if you’re in the southern climate. This allows you to run a Fleetguard FS1221 fuel filter which is larger than the OE filter.
Delete Nipple: '89-'93, Dodge Cummins Fuel Pre-Heater Delete Nipple
Fuel Filter: 1st Gen Cummins Upgraded Fuel Filter Separator Fleetguard FS1221

I picked up a used set of head studs and push rods on CompD. That has been my most expensive purchase to date, (less than $1,000) even more than a new clutch for my Getrag360. As for injectors I have not crossed that bridge yet. I’m watching the classified but will probably just contact Smokem at Infinite Performance once I’m ready to upgrade. The stock quick connect fittings at the fuel tank are subject to failure if you remove them a few times. I ended up using new fuel hose and hose clamps to connect the plastic male fittings to the steel fuel line. If your fuel gauge stops working, probably a broken wire to the rheostat inside the tank. The metal telescoping frame on my sending unit assembly rusted in two pieces and cut the wire. No one makes these sending units, I already tried a few. Ended up making my own metal telescoping frame and its been working ever sense. PM me for details on this.
'91 Cummins w350 5spd