CR melted piston discussion, why, why not, and for the love of god how not to..

I'm with Toolman.... I've had stock Cummins pistons since my motor was rebuilt. They are shaved a little and do have ceramic coating but, I haven't had any problems with them in 2.5yrs of racing with a single turbo. That means they've seen a pretty good amount of heat but, I've watched the programming used and tried to keep timing to a minimum. I don't think it's the make of the piston causing issue.

I'm with Toolman.... I've had stock Cummins pistons since my motor was rebuilt. They are shaved a little and do have ceramic coating but, I haven't had any problems with them in 2.5yrs of racing with a single turbo. That means they've seen a pretty good amount of heat but, I've watched the programming used and tried to keep timing to a minimum. I don't think it's the make of the piston causing issue.

10-4. Ty
Not saying the piston could not be improved, but it's the fire that's doing the damage. Timing and pressure are killers.

jeff can you get pistons coated? I need that .040 over piston ceramic coated and teflon skirt? from calico

Just wondering what sort of ECU does the new gen Cummins have? Make and type?

Using piggyback/adon boxes is an disaster waiting to happen. Thats why it would be imperative to get the ECU properly mapped for larger nozzles and fueling rates. All other ECUs are programmable one way or another so I'm guessing these would be too.

Using piggyback/adon boxes is an disaster waiting to happen. Thats why it would be imperative to get the ECU properly mapped for larger nozzles and fueling rates. All other ECUs are programmable one way or another so I'm guessing these would be too.

Motorola iirc.

Wish there were a test subject to try on within 1000km of me. There are only few Cummins trucks in Finland and I'm pretty sure all of them are of the older generation.

Were already doing that with the smarty and other downloaders. "properly mapped" is up for debate.

How do you edit the file? What parameters do you change? Id like to to have a look on stock file and see what could be done with some hex edit love ;) Changing the pre and post injections should be doable if the basic file is anything like most other CR engine managements have.

I actually came across this thread while searching for info about custom pistons and 14 pages later my mind is thinking of the real potential of the newer gen cummins engines. There has to be more potential than what has already been found.

Back