Just finished my nv4500 to 47rh swap

rust2race

Back in December I blew up third gear and cracked the case on my nv4500 in my '98 12 valve. Since my eventual goal is to race the truck anyway, I decided to go ahead and swap it to a fully manual valvebody 47rh with a floor shifter. If anyone else is interested in how my build went or has any questions, I'd be happy to post on here about details...just dont want to waste my time if nobody is interested. I'm very happy with how it turned out, truck is wayyy faster than that old manual and double disc clutch!

Attachments

• 20160201_144148.jpg
    20160201_144148.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 0
I'm planning on doing the same thing sometime this summer. Post some pictures, it would be nice to have something to reference to.

I've been trying to find someone to swap with me for years since I got out of pulling.... almost had it one time member here had an identical truck we were going to swap everything my 5spd & dual disc for his 47RE and the guy backed out.

Last edited:
I've been trying to find someone to swap with me for years since I got out of pulling.... almost had it one time member here had an identical truck we were going to swap everything my 5spd & dual disc for his 47RE and the guy backed out.

Happened to me as well but not with a member on here. We went back and forth for a few weeks and decided to go for it, I parked the truck and took everything out to swap with him and come to find out when I showed up at his house to trade, he sold it to someone else. I was bummed about it but learned my lesson.

How do you like that shifter? I'm debating between thatbine or a ratchet style

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I found a guy locally to trade my nv4500 for his 47re with some billet goodies,guess I just got really lucky. But I installed the b&m mega shifter as I went full manual vb

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I'll take some pics and post later, I used an art carr winters shifter for a torqueflight 727 and made my own bracket instead of using their linkage. Shifter is great, shifts very crisp and never slips into the wrong gear. Its easy to feel the shifts even in the dark when driving at night. Swap nickle and dimed me half to death but wasnt too hard..off the top of my head here is the basics:
Had to swap flywheel for flex plate

added trans cooler from an 07 ford 6.0L diesel (it was big and cheap)

had to weld a bracket and gussets on the front of crossmember because it was too far back for the auto trans on my formerly manual truck

swapped transfer case input shaft and extended transfer case shift linkage

resized driveshafts (front got longer, rear got shorter)

...I'm sure I'm forgetting some stuff along the way, but those were the main points.

New trans is great, triple disc converter, all billet shafts and upgraded parts, fully manual valvebody and I can even manually adjust the line pressure/shift firmness. Overdrive is the switch on the gauge cluster and the button on my shifter locks the TC.

Here's a few pics of my truck with the new 47rh in it and the old and devastated nv4500 :lolly:

Attachments

• 20151201_120749.jpg
    20151201_120749.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20151208_120352.jpg
    20151208_120352.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20151231_163543.jpg
    20151231_163543.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 20160127_082031.jpg
    20160127_082031.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 20160201_142541.jpg
    20160201_142541.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20160202_104709.jpg
    20160202_104709.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 0
  • FullSizeRender1bkkkagfdd.jpg
    FullSizeRender1bkkkagfdd.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_08871.jpg
    IMG_08871.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 0
Yea it was fun before, but its REALLY fun now. I love how fast and firm it shifts, and tc lockup in 2-3-4 kicks butt too :charger:

Forgot to mention before, had to change the transmission mount bracket, the manual has two bolts and the auto has three. Since I twisted the old trans mount on the manual at the same time I blew up the trans, I decided to drill out and helix coil the trans mount holes on my trans and used 1/2" grade 8 bolts to mount the trans.

I found a guy locally to trade my nv4500 for his 47re with some billet goodies,guess I just got really lucky. But I installed the b&m mega shifter as I went full manual vb

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I saw a lot of guys used the B+M mega shifter, I went with the winters partly because it seemed like the sturdiest shifter I could find and also because I havent seen anyone else with one like that.

I'm still on the break in period on the trans, so I havent been pushing it real hard yet...But the trans has been running at 120-140 in traffic and ~110 on the highway. I live in Florida, so I wanted to make sure it would keep cool in the heat.

Well this thread is going to be delayed a little while...my blocked cracked this week..has a 4" crack on passenger side below freeze plugs pouring coolant. :nail::bang

rust2race
Sorry to hear about your block. I am installing my 2nd 47RH after 68 miles on the first one sooo I understand. I want to change to an Art Carr shifter and wondered if you used the 207-1, and what length cable. It looks like you came out the back of the shifter around and in the front of the 47RH. Were there any really short radius bends in the cable? I have a complete 91 5.9 in the basement, but Idaho to Florida $$$$$. Thanks in advance, and good luck with a block
willyC93

I've been a busy boy...since my truck with the cracked block had a bunch of rust, I opted to get a 94 3500 auto cummins with a shot trans that a guy I know chopped and put a shortbed on. put my badass trans into it and all my go-fast parts out of the old truck. Been parting out the old truck and hopefully in another month or two I'll be race ready with a short wheel base truck :nos:

Seems like the thing everybody's doing. Sorry to hear about the block, hopefully you get it sorted out soon

Back