Need to make an engine stand for a DT466. Ideas?

4x4dually

I'm getting ready to go pick up a '82 DT466B 180hp motor to put in this dump truck. I think it needs new rings as it burns some oil. Not sure 'til I break it down. I'm shooting for the 250 hp mark with it with a little pump work and new nozzles. I hope the turbo is good and is an HX-50 or something comparable. I'm still learning on this thing.

Anywho....I'm googling stands now but if any of you have dimensions or ideas, I'd love to hear them. Not sure yet how heavy this SOB is gonna be.

:thankyou2:

Last edited:
Just come to Ohio, I have on built already....And I can give you a hand rebuilding the old girl.

Weight is around 1400lbs for most 466's
Chris

So I can get you to quote a rebuild on it and come stay for a couple days? Sound good. LOL

I'm getting the engine for free but it burns a little oil. I'll need to break it down and inspect liners before I know how much love it needs. Can you do the pump work and nozzles too? I'd love to hit 250 or more with it without breaking the bank.

Pick up some 3x3x.25 angle, and a good set of casters. Build a frame for it and use a slack adjuster off a rig for the turntable. I have several of the Harbor Freight 2000# engine stands, and with a dry but fully loaded 5.9 or 6.7 I can not rotate them by hand, no way I would hang a 466 off of one, even though it is rated for it.

Now we are just talking crazy shidt. LOL

The full rebuild kits is around $1000 for new sleeves, pistons, bearings, etc. I just wish I had the knowledge to put it in....and the tools. I'd like to get it rebuilt (what ever it needs) and painted and ready to drop in for a few grand. Not sure if I can make budget. I haven't found anyone around here that can do it yet but I'm still looking.

Got any combine final drives laying around? They make pretty much the best engine stand gearbox known to man.

Any stand safe enough to hold a DT is going to take some effort, so you might as well go all out and make something really worth owning.

Ex.jpg

Currently working on a "cradle" to bolt to this to make assembly and test running a piece of cake.

Never thought of that idea Brad. I've got a couple good stands now, but we do have a ton of old final drives around here. We've got to hanging our engines off the sides so we can test run them in the stand. I'd love to take an old combine frame, radiator, and belt drive to make a dyno stand.

Jory, I can get the nozzles done for you, but I don't do fuel systems in house. We send them off. We do the builds here, but I farm out the important stuff out to professionals, ie, machining and fuel system.

Burn some of that vacation and come up...
Chris

I'll go get the motor and figure out what it needs. 90Dodge just bought a compression tester and a bore scope. Can either or both be used to figure out which cylinder if any needs reworked or do I just pull the head off and use my eye balls?

JWB

Working on this. Torquing mains is the only thing I can see that will be inconvenient. Have to make some compromises somewhere. Engine can sit in either direction, and will end up with a cheap 1000lb hoist mounted on it. Planning on being able to pick up a bare block off the floor via it's own hoist, and end up with a dyno'd engine, all on one stand. Some legs will be used for running and dynoing.

image_zpsmputal7o.jpg

You can get a chain and an anchor and fix it up real good. Wait...

In reality, the engine would sink without an anchor.

Working on this. Torquing mains is the only thing I can see that will be inconvenient. Have to make some compromises somewhere. Engine can sit in either direction, and will end up with a cheap 1000lb hoist mounted on it. Planning on being able to pick up a bare block off the floor via it's own hoist, and end up with a dyno'd engine, all on one stand. Some legs will be used for running and dynoing.

How will you be dynoing?

Chris

Back