View Single Post
Old 11-12-2014, 08:13 AM   #10
CorneliusRox

Name: CorneliusRox
Title: Seasoned Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPapa View Post
The resistor was already in the harness. I'm an electrical idiot, so I may be calling it the wrong thing, it may have been a diode. From what they told me, whatever it is, it serves as a check valve to keep power from "back-flowing" to or from the alternator. The first harness I received had the resistor, or diode, backwards, and the alternator was not charging. it took me forever and several calls to find the problem. Swapped in the new harness and it's been working great for 15+ years.
I changed pretty much everything to 12V yesterday.
What you're describing is a diode, but I don't know why you'd need one?

I picked up a used GM10SI alternator (single wire out and internally regulated to 12V) for $40 with a generic mounting arm that ended up working great.

I put a ballast resistor in before the ignition coil, and I left the stock 6V coil since I couldn't find a 12V one yesterday and it looks like my jeep one might not make for a robust one. I'll find one and swap it.

Then I bought a 12V condenser for the distributor.

I didn't buy a new battery because they didn't have one that'd fit well, so I just jump started it, but it seemed to work great and turn over fast. Also, the battery I had used before apparently was junk and only was alive because it had just come off the charger.

I still need to do the lights, add a starter button, and redo the entire wiring harness. I'm also going to adjust the valves to try and get rid of the oil in the exhaust a bit, but I am thinking it needs a valve job. That might be a warmer weather project though.

Any one know of spark plugs to put in this thing? Mine seems to have some sort of adapter on it for the plugs... Not sure why and I can't believe it was made this way.