Old 08-06-2020, 08:59 AM   #5
74Powerwagon

Name: 74Powerwagon
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
Is it possible to bend a rod hydrolocking with fuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicims View Post
I made one final drive to my garage to swap out the injectors that I have been needing. They're not in terrible shape, just one that is causing a little lope at idle and some haze with it. Anyway I went to go hot start it after I cleared the garage to pull it in and it cranked over a couple then it stopped and sounded like a weird squish sound from the engine and the starter rolled back and quit. I tried cranking again and it cranked fine but would not start, I was not looking at rail pressure during cranking but I believe there was enough pressure. Gave it a few seconds and tried again and it fired up with a decent puff of smoke and wet soot belching out but cleared up back to normal.

Just off of speculation, I think that one, my problem injector, leaked down into the cylinder and it tried to hydrolock when I went to start it. I think that even though the starter sounded like it was kicked backwards the weird squish sound also makes me think that it compressed it and then got over TDC and pushed the starter further after the TDC compression. Is it possible to bend the rod in this situation? Does the starter have enough torque to overcome the cylinder pressure and actually bend parts?

I have heard some stuff of people bending rods but I mean personally I would feel like you’d hear it if you could crank it over pull injectors and crank it over. Had issues with my old power wagon and it hydrolocked 4 cylinders but didn’t bend rods. Also agree that a starter doesn’t have enough torque would have to be running to bend the rod.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by 74Powerwagon; 08-06-2020 at 09:00 AM.