How much oil does this transmission take

cerickson

fullpull108
Doing my first 5,000 mile band adjustment and filter change on my goerend transmission. Anybody happen to know how much oil it takes. Just want to get enough oil before I tear into this thing. Thanks in advance.

I poured 2 1/2 gallons in it while running. Was up to the full mark. Gonna take it for a spin tonight and check it again in the morning after it warms up.

Mine takes almost 5 gallons , that's draining the converter also.

x2. My 47re with a MagHytec takes just under five, so I typically just buy a 5gal bucket. It's cheaper that way.

So, with all of that stated, a brand new converter and 48RE with Mag Hytec pan has an initial fill of about 5 gallons. Very good to know.

How are you draining the converter? Pull the trans?

So, with all of that stated, a brand new converter and 48RE with Mag Hytec pan has an initial fill of about 5 gallons. Very good to know.

1/8" NPT plug on the aftermarket converters.

I don't drain it unless I'm pulling the trans. I swap trans fluid once a year for good measure with a new filter. I assume/hope the dilution of the dirty fluid with new/clean fluid is enough.

1/8" NPT plug on the aftermarket converters.

Can you access that from the peak slot on the bottom of the bell-housing? I'll have to go back and look at pictures of my TC because I don't remember seeing that plug.

Can you access that from the peak slot on the bottom of the bell-housing? I'll have to go back and look at pictures of my TC because I don't remember seeing that plug.

Yes, take off the cover and rotate until it is accessible...if you have a plug.

Yes, take off the cover and rotate until it is accessible...if you have a plug.

Yeah, maybe I don't. I had a Goerend triple, and now have a Recon triple. I don't remember seeing it on either, but I honestly never really 'checked them out' other than to make sure there was no obvious signs of shipping abuse or anything.

I just did the pan drain. Adjusted rear band. Also changed filter. Fluid looked brand new. Will do the converter drain when I drain it next time. Question why do they put the metal filters in from the factory? When aftermarket builders recommend you running the older cotton style filters.

Last edited:
I don't drain it unless I'm pulling the trans. I swap trans fluid once a year for good measure with a new filter. I assume/hope the dilution of the dirty fluid with new/clean fluid is enough.

Same here, I have a Suncoast TC and I don't remember seeing a plug. I will have to bar the engine over and take a look this weekend.

Back