View Single Post
Old 09-01-2012, 01:57 PM   #16
dirty_max

Name: dirty_max
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfaulkner View Post
Anyone with Cat ET can change trim codes and there are PLENTY of guys with factory cat flash files that can also change the fls/fts but if you really want to make them run you need modified flash files.

There are a couple of modified files that got leaked and have spread around, one will brick your ECM. That's why you have to know who your dealing with. The 7CZ file (70pin ecm) that's made it to a few people's hard drives was modified by Jared (owner of PDI) a LONG time ago and was leaked and runs really well. There is also a modded Acert file (120pin) I've heard about that get's the same reviews.

Bottom line the ONLY way to get big power without changing any hard parts (cam, injectors ect) is to have someone flash your ECM with a good file. By good I mean NOTHING you'll be able to get at a dealer, all their files are the latest EPA files that will totally castrate your truck. The other way is to swap the cam and bigger injectors.

As far as having your ECM flashed by PDI you don't have to sent your ECM off, you can just find your local dealer and they now have the ability to flash Cat/Cummins while you wait (Detroit is in the works).
i agree a modified flash file would be the best way to make good power but how much does it cost? cuz i believe that the original request was most cost efficient , which to me means whats the cheapest way. and as long as you have all the old flash files, which are not the latest epa flash files, im guessing that would be pretty cheap. just a guess cuz i dont know what pdi costs