engine swap

U swap the cam gear and front timing cover. Or i beleive it work if u had the complete engine harness and ecm from the engine thats going in.

I didn't search till later and saw the pickup difference. How is the cam gear held on and how is it indexed on the cam? Thanks

Press fit, With moon key. Take you 5 minutes to swap if both was out of the blocks. . Some 1/2 dowl rods and motor sitting on the floor this is an easy job. And if u donr completely regasket that motor your putring in when its out youll regret it.

This is a truck I sold to a young man. I've got a complete 99 truck he is buying to put in the 01. Said it broke the crank driving down the road. I have not seen it but he said it makes terrible noises cranking it over.

Most say to heat the cam gear when you put it on. Do you press and heat it? I will probably have to help him some with this. Thanks

Ive swapped countless ones No heat only press. Be sure you use the 01 timing case. It has same sensor but in a different location.

I thought the early models had both cam/crank and late models had only cam sensor, therefore the 99 could go into a 01, but not vice versa...or are the sensors completely different?

I thought the early models had both cam/crank and late models had only cam sensor, therefore the 99 could go into a 01, but not vice versa...or are the sensors completely different?

The timing case hole location and cam gear is totally different on the 01-02s.

Thanks, it's great to have some people with knowledge. How much pressure when you press it? I have a 20 ton press but no gauge.

Last edited:
That be fine thats all i had for years 20 ton bottle jack style. Have a 50 ton dake not and needle barely moves.

Back