tach pickup off damper bolts *help!*

sltlytwkd

addicted
I just installed a autometer diesel tach on my p24v. I made a bracket for the tach pickup to read of the 4 damper bolts. The problem I'm having is that the ARP damper bolts have a hole/dimple in the center of the bolt head which I believe is making the tach read 2x actual rpm... (thinking there's 8 bolts instead of 4) My question is, is there any way I can cheat it without getting different damper bolts?? Anyone else ever have this issue? Thanks in advance!

I machined 4 slots into the dampener and use that as the pickup. So it picks up around the edge of the balancer instead of the bolts

I machined 4 slots into the dampener and use that as the pickup. So it picks up around the edge of the balancer instead of the bolts

It's a fluidamper, that won't harm it at all right? It already has 2 slots on it, I wish there was an option on the tach.

I would offset the pickoff so its in a larger diameter picking up the bolts on the outer edge of the head and not over the dimple.

I would offset the pickoff so its in a larger diameter picking up the bolts on the outer edge of the head and not over the dimple.

Yea I thought about that too. Maybe I'll just try slotting the holes to move it around a bit, would be the easiest to try anyways.

I was only able to get mine smooth and accurate by welding four small tabs on the outside diameter of the balancer. I tried the recess style first and was jumpy and seemed to read high.

Smooth as factory with the raised tabs, again on a much larger diameter than trying to signal off the mounting bolts.

I was only able to get mine smooth and accurate by welding four small tabs on the outside diameter of the balancer. I tried the recess style first and was jumpy and seemed to read high.

Smooth as factory with the raised tabs, again on a much larger diameter than trying to signal off the mounting bolts.

What did use for tabs? Like key stock? It's safe to weld on the damper without being out another $400? Lol

It's a fluidamper, that won't harm it at all right? It already has 2 slots on it, I wish there was an option on the tach.

Yeah mines a Fluidamper as well. I machined four 1 inch wide grooves spaced evenly around the edge. Fluidamper says thats fine just dont go deeper than 0.200"

Back