Crank Ventilation

TruckYou

With my engine in the engine stand, IP off, and ready to swap cams, I'm starin that this Tappets cover wondering what I should do. Billet tappet covers look good, but I can only see myself doing so if I went for the Tappets cover with the AN crank Vents, to run to a catch can.

I'm debating if it's worth the money for the billet tappet cover with vent, and catch can, or if I should run a dual valve cover type crankcase vent. This is my soon to be race truck, will see high boost conditions, street able but no DD.

With the catch can, do you plumb from the can to the oil pan for recirculation?

What other options are available for the 12v

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

If you go straight to a catch can, you will fill the can in very short order. You can search in the 12v section and see all the reports. Keating machine makes one with baffles built in before the an fittings that work well, most others end up plugged off and using valve cover breathers. I have 2 dual cover breathers with plugs in my tappet cover.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Check the thread by jilbert "one thing led to another" he ran evac tubes to his exhaust like the gas guys do. I asked how they've been working out and he says good. I'm gonna try that set up on mine.

Check the thread by jilbert "one thing led to another" he ran evac tubes to his exhaust like the gas guys do. I asked how they've been working out and he says good. I'm gonna try that set up on mine.

I've done this too. JEGs sells a 'kit', but I've had better luck making my own. If you look up a flow chart, it'll show you that you want to have your tube exit facing down stream and within the center ~65% of the exhaust to get the best velocity (and in tern, vacuum).
I haven't run a check valve on mine, but I don't have anywhere to crate back pressure either.

I still recommend a baffle though or you'll be throwing a decent amount of oil out the exhaust.

I've done this too. JEGs sells a 'kit', but I've had better luck making my own. If you look up a flow chart, it'll show you that you want to have your tube exit facing down stream and within the center ~65% of the exhaust to get the best velocity (and in tern, vacuum).
I haven't run a check valve on mine, but I don't have anywhere to crate back pressure either.

I still recommend a baffle though or you'll be throwing a decent amount of oil out the exhaust.
45° angle to flow? I put one in my downpipe and it didn't seem to pull enough to function. I maybe have to revisit this.
What is the purpose in the flute that moroso puts on their kit?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

I also tried to put one in my down pipe. Didn't pull any flow. I pulled the line off the valve cover and could see it puffing exhaust out...

I've thought hard about really stripping all the suspended oil out with a good baffle setup then feeding in front of the turbo compressor inlet to create good vacuum in the crank case. But I fear I would never get enough of the oil out.

For our 2.6 puller we put one -16an line out of cyl 5 valve cover and one out of the tappet cover into a catch can I built(a little over2 quart capacity) with a baffle and a breather mounted under the truck towards back of transfer case. During a pull we put maybe 1/2 a quart in the can. As before we had 2 lines out of the tappet cover and 2 breathers in the valve covers, that would spit about 1.5 quarts in a jug, and the breathers would spit oil all over the engine compartment.

The new setup breathes just fine, no excessive crankcase pressure.

45° angle to flow? I put one in my downpipe and it didn't seem to pull enough to function. I maybe have to revisit this.
What is the purpose in the flute that moroso puts on their kit?

Actually, being in line with the flow is best. Those kits at a 45deg angle are just made to be super cheap. The 'flute' is actually just there so you can drill you hole (not oval it out) and the tube will fit when you lay it at a 45.

I thought it had been decided years ago that there isn't enough velocity in the diesel exhaust to create enough vacuum for this to work. I don't know that I've ever seen it on a pulling truck, don't know about the racers. Haven't been around enough of them.

Can you elaborate? I assume you're talking about for a catch can. I plan to vent to exhaust on mine, but a low psi check in a return from a can would solve the drain back issue.

I thought it had been decided years ago that there isn't enough velocity in the diesel exhaust to create enough vacuum for this to work. I don't know that I've ever seen it on a pulling truck, don't know about the racers. Haven't been around enough of them.

I don't know, I've had success with it.

Why doesn't anyone bother with an oil return line?

You could do that with a low pressure check valve back to the sump. I've seen it done before.

Why doesn't anyone bother with an oil return line?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did. Used the Hellmann valve cover with their supplied catch can that returns the oil to the factory drain for the CCV. Obviously a little different with a CR 24v, but it's great never having to check the catch can.

I did. Used the Hellmann valve cover with their supplied catch can that returns the oil to the factory drain for the CCV. Obviously a little different with a CR 24v, but it's great never having to check the catch can.

That's the route I've been wanting to take. Made sense to me.

Well I just pulled my pump off, preparing to install new cam and Tappets. How about running, like, Keating Machines Tappet cover, with dual baffled vents, to a catch can, then from catch can to oil pan?

Seems to me the valve cover is a better place to vent crank case pressure , due to the elevation working in it's favor, more vapor than oil. I would like to purchase one or the other, and if the valve cover is the better direction I'll spare myself the expense of the shiny billet, and just toss a new gasket on the cover, and put it back together. But at the 800hp+ goal of the race truck, I would like to protect this problem area with a O ring style cover, especially if the CC can vent without spitting oil all over the track

Well I just pulled my pump off, preparing to install new cam and Tappets. How about running, like, Keating Machines Tappet cover, with dual baffled vents, to a catch can, then from catch can to oil pan?

Seems to me the valve cover is a better place to vent crank case pressure , due to the elevation working in it's favor, more vapor than oil. I would like to purchase one or the other, and if the valve cover is the better direction I'll spare myself the expense of the shiny billet, and just toss a new gasket on the cover, and put it back together. But at the 800hp+ goal of the race truck, I would like to protect this problem area with a O ring style cover, especially if the CC can vent without spitting oil all over the track

From what I've seen, most guys end up plugging the tappet cover vents and go with valve cover vents after they get tired of it still puking oil... I'm just going to plug off my tappet cover and go with two VC vents and one on the pump gear access that I've already added. I'll probably bump up to a 3/4 line in that location later on, but I wanted to experiment and 1/2" line and fittings was what I had on hand.
2054c0ff6d54def81736c3ca933884f6.jpg

Last edited:
This little diddy was used on some buses of ours at one time. Screws in where the oil fill goes on a 12V. Not sure if we'd have clearance behind the fan. We have one left in stock but they do look to be available from Cummins for @ $70.00.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20170901_094652_resized.jpg
    20170901_094652_resized.jpg
    383.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 20170901_094631_resized.jpg
    20170901_094631_resized.jpg
    417.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Breather.jpg
    Breather.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
We ran vents from anywhere I could install one. lol Eventually bought the billet side cover. Get one with the o-ring seal. Most of them are tapped 3/4" NPT. Therefore, you could go from MNPT to any AN fitting.

We ran everything to a little oil separator bought from Jegs. We used the evac kit from Jegs as well and installed in a straight section of 5" exhaust as close to turbo as possible.

Naturally, in low boost conditions the thing worked pretty good. We learned pretty quick when the boost is on, say one mud pass, you best empty the can. I have seen folks use part of the roll cage as catch cans just so long as it is vented. One party in particular was making some crazy boost (100psi+) and I personally drained three quarts of oil out of his "catch can" after one quarter mile pass. ...and was told this was normal and dump it back in the engine. lol

Hey Financial Mistake, or Big papa.. could either of you provide a link? I'm having difficulty locating these. I would really like to go this route

I didn't catch what engine you have. The part I pictured is a Cummins part. If you have a 12V it looks like all you'd need is (1) 3944797 and the bracket, #3680536.

Back