Any idea how much painting a tailgate will cost

Found a color matched tailgate locally. Question i have. The guy debadged it. But the sticky adhesive is still on the paint. I have some 3M adhesive remover. Is this stuff safe to use on the paint? I've used it to remove stickers from my windows. Just don't want to eat the paint.

Most body shops use a wheel on a die grinder to remove decal residue from moldings... it is something specific to paint and body shops and the best way I could describe it is a very soft rubber eraser...

I would guess you could go by a local shop and slip the guy $20 to remove the adhesive, then you can buff it out...

This is what my brother used to get stickers off of cars at the dealer that he worked at. Never had an issue.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/AES-Industries-Pinstripe-Adhesive-Removal/dp/B0020HQRQC/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1420477827&sr=8-5&keywords=sticker+remover+wheel"]Amazon.com: AES Industries 4" Smart Eraser Pad for Pinstripe, Decal & Adhesive Removal [Made In USA]: Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/317f55dWozL.@@AMEPARAM@@317f55dWozL[/ame]

3M eraser wheel. Sometimes Napa has them. I've had the same one for years. Works great once you figure out the best angle, and sometimes it helps to warm the glue up with a heat gun first.

Found a color matched tailgate locally. Question i have. The guy debadged it. But the sticky adhesive is still on the paint. I have some 3M adhesive remover. Is this stuff safe to use on the paint? I've used it to remove stickers from my windows. Just don't want to eat the paint.

You don't have to purchase a wheel. You are in the perfect position to use the adhesive remover. Lay the tailgate flat. Soak the area. Let it sit until it turns into a gelatinous mass, then scrape off with something similar to a credit card. Wet down again and wipe clean. Not much bothers clear coat, except for paint stripper. I'll use lacquer thinner or clear coat reducer all the time (provided the paint is cured and not new).

The wheels make me a bit nervous on adhesives that have been exposed to the elements for a while. Adhesives picks up dirt, and I don't want the wheel to push any into the paint. $.02

Back