Cast Iron Flywheel Explodes

vhaisley

We hear alot of pullers complaining at the high cost of SFI approved equipment.

We were at a pull this past weekend and one of the gas pullers had a non-SFI approved clutch in his pulling truck. He did have a single layer SFI approved bellhousing (We use a bellhousing with a liner) so he thought it would be ok. NOT!

His cast iron flywheel exploded right off the starting line and went thru the bellhousing, thru the firewall, hit and buckeled the hood before settleing in the engine compartment.

Many pieces were picked up off the track. Thankfully, the competitor, track crew and fans were not injured. This could have been sooo much worse.

We cannot emphasize enough the importance of the safety equipment required on your competition vehicles.

Van, Patty & Curt
Haisley

Attachments

• 2010-05-29 19.38.24_20.jpg
    2010-05-29 19.38.24_20.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 681
  • cast_flywheel_exploded (220).jpg
    cast_flywheel_exploded (220).jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 673
  • cast_flywheel_exploded (520).jpg
    cast_flywheel_exploded (520).jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 671
  • cast_flywheel_exploded (420).jpg
    cast_flywheel_exploded (420).jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 673
  • cast_flywheel_exploded (920).jpg
    cast_flywheel_exploded (920).jpg
    67 KB · Views: 671
Last edited:
It is expensive but not nearly as much as looseing a foot or injuring someone else.

Tim

pics werent up when i posted. O PHUK I imagine this went through the drivers head.

The biggest problem is their is no way to tech this even if the driver has a sfi card there is no garuntee that is the clutch thats in the truck.

Last edited:
you should post those pictures you did on FB. It's crazy to think what could have happen !

I had to reduce the size of them. I put a few of them up there. There are more on our Facebook page.

thats insane. hes real lucky he is alright. more importantly that someone else didnt pay for his dumbass mistake...

I have also seen this happen in a hobby stock gas truck, parts flew everywhere, even with scattershields someone in the crowd was hit by a piece of clutch in the leg while they were in the bleachers.

a buddy was at a pull not far from home for me a few years ago and a hemi dodge with a g56 had the flywheel explode,same thing took the hood, dash and floorboard,but lucky think no one was hurt there either.

makes me love my sfi blanket damn

The thing is that even if the clutch is fully SFI and same with the blanket installation error fastners not torqued correctly can still do ALOT of damage even when everything was SFI aproved.

With our trucks and the way most guys running a manual trans leave the line....a 5000rpm clutch dump with loads of torque to get the ball moving can do crazy crazy things and if something does happen and your blanket also isn't installed correctly its going to go somewhere!

It is really too bad that one of the major aftermarket blow proff can manufatures can't build us something that will work with the standard 2 disk clutches like Haisleys or anyone elses. It would give people alot more piece of mind...

RyanB

There was pics of a tractor that had a flywheel explode on Pulloff a few weeks ago. It split the whole tractor in half.......

I was pretty glad nothing happened other than it took out his motor....I literally had just taken a pic, when I heard the flywheel explode, and looked up and there was his hood bent up...I was in the middle of the dirt, taking pics for S&R, when it happened, probably not more than 20 ft away, and it happened straight in front of me.

Im not sure if anyone got any video of it other than the company that S and R pays to video the entire pull. I will say the guy is lucky!!!! One bad bounce and it easily would have taken his feet off!!!

i have seen a 6.0 powerstroke explode the factory pressure plate on the pull track he thought he had a dual disc

Once the word sled pulling and or drag racing comes out of your mouth, we wont sell you anything but a SFI unit, I've seen quite a few clutches and or flywheels explode in my day. It's never pretty.

27958_1383628282597_1588694421_880901_943228_n.jpg

27958_1383628402600_1588694421_880902_575635_n.jpg

27958_1383628442601_1588694421_880903_3216657_n.jpg

27958_1383628642606_1588694421_880904_1593597_n.jpg

the rest of pics from HMR's face book

Wow he's lucky. All i can say is spend the money on Sfi aproved parts in saftey eqt. In the long run it's worth it. When i was younger i went with a cuz to a mud race in a guys modified rail buggy blew the tranny apart in hurt my younger cuz in other in the stands. The organization kicked him out for two years cause of not have right eqt. It pays to have the saftey eqt.

Are stock Cummins flywheels cast iron also or something else?

Cast.
How many 2.6 trucks are still running cast flywheels?
Too many.

Back