Transmission cooler

ramtough01

I have a 06 and looking for a good aftermarket trans cooler who makes a good one and doesnt cost a arm and a leg for it

Derale has a smaller cooler, but you could custom make lines/fittings and use a bigger one from Summit or Jegs.

ID of factory lines is 1/2 inch, I believe, don't want to use lines/fittings that are smaller than stock

If you go with a derale, get the kit with a fan and temp sensor and mount it back under the bed. Leave the heat exchanger on the engine block because it helps regulate trans temp in cold climates, eliminate the cooler by the radiator.

I've found a bd cooler online anyone use those? Comes with a fan

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Tapatalk 2

I have the derale with the fan mounted under my bed now the temp sensor hasn't worked since day one so I just wired the fan to a switch and turn it on manually when I start the truck. Its kind of a small cooler so definitely leave the fluid heat exchanger hooked up I didn't and city driving is horrible. The tranny heats up way to quick and the derale cooler isn't big enough to keep it cool by itself but it may just be where mine is mounted under the bed. But its an all around good cooler due to the size you can mount it about anywhere that has good airflow.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

Delete the heat exchanger...mine cost me a fresh build on my Suncoast when it decided to go out and fill my trans with water. O not to mention my heater core and thermostat because of the ATF in the motor. Stuff is nasty and takes forever to fully flush
Just my .2

Wisconsin is pretty cold, otherwise I would recommend deleting the heat exchanger and put two derale w/fan coolers.

Yeah in texas I don't have to worry about that one and on cold days I just let the truck warm up. I'm running a flex a lite with thermostat controlled fan and it works great I ran all new rated lines with an fittings. No compression fittings to leak. James at jtt though it would be a good idea to leave the stock one and the back check valve so i did and just added the flexalite

I never see over 160 with the under bed mount derale 15800 empty! I left the engine mount cooler to bring temps up faster on the ATF. Bad for the system to run it cold under 120 the fluid doesn't perform like it should. When towing heavy you can really see the difference in temps I have a gauge coming out of the trans and one in the pan seeing a 40 degree + drop is sweet!

How come most mount then under the bed? And how and where?

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Tapatalk 2

My guess would be ease of mounting.

Mounting an external cooler with a fan attached in front of the rest of the exchangers isn't going to happen. Just not enough room.

Spelling errors should be ignored from this device.

You can cut the return line and route it to the aux cooler then back to the pan this makes install easy and the cooling benefit is maximized. I'll post a pick when I can!

You can cut the return line and route it to the aux cooler then back to the pan this makes install easy and the cooling benefit is maximized. I'll post a pick when I can!

That is actually a really good idea...

I would like to see those pics as well.

Where and how are any of you mounting the cooler? Cause just mounting it to the frame dont seem right need to have some air flow through it

Last edited:
SANY0006.jpg

Ok that worked here are a few more!
SANY0002.jpg

See the mounting brackets i made for space for air flow
SANY0005.jpg

Close up!
SANY0004.jpg

Hope this helps!

Very similar to what I did, I eliminated the heat exchanger (can't see yours) and ran a good 1/2" hose to the factory cooler then through an aftermarket cooler then back to the trans. If I do allot of around town driving while towing it can hit 220 but usually I never hit higher then 160.

I also have the thermostat in the factory cooler eliminated so the fluid is forced through the core at all times.

Spelling errors should be ignored from this device.