4bt ve pump problems

camccardell

Ok, I am totally lost on this one guys.

I have a 95 f150 with a 4bt in it

I know that with a traditional engine you accelerate and then when the rpms get high you shift into the next gear. And the process repeats through the gears.

I cannot get my engine to do this. I suspect that I am not getting enough fuel as I am not building much boost.

I have cranked down the star wheel and I have also rotated the fuel pin.
I even backed out the throttle stop screw so I can press the fuel pedal down a little farther.

I am getting no smoke as far as I can tell.

max boost is only 8 psi

I am running the efi pumps through the factory lines. I have a fuel pressure regulator with a return reducing the fuel pressure down to 9 psi. I had it at 7 before and cranking it up to 9 makes no diffirence.

the pump has a 3200rpm srping in it, and I can reach 3k rpm in park or neutral. I might even be able to get that far in 1st, but that is it. no 3k in 2nd or 3rd. Can't get more than 1600 in od and it will not accelerate above 60 mph and it takes all day to get that fast.

Thinking of pulling the in tank pumps and buying a raptor, but not so sure I want to do that just yet.

The engine was sitting in a field for at least 15 years before I got it, and it was rusted right up. Needed some serious love to being it back to life ( and cash ) Pump was bone dry when I went to put the spring in and I needed to use a lot of pb blaster to loosen it all up.

Is it possible the fuel delivery pin isn't comming out all the way or something?

I mean I can stick a scredriver down there and move it in and pull the throttle and watch it come out. Maybe it isn't comming out far enough?

Totally lost and getting frustrated!

I opened it back up and cranked down the star wheel a bit more and I also removed the collar on the full throttle screw.

I turned in the screw 4 1/2 times and it still didn't run away or get close! Damn UPS guys must have really tried to govern this thing down!

It smokes like crazy now though. The idle speed increased to 1500 or so rpms so I had to adjust it back down to 800. I also backed out the smoke screw one full turn. It still smokes quite a bit with the pedal down at any speed.

Boost gauge goes up to about 15psi now. I am running an he341 with all 3" mandrel intercooler tubing and 4" exhaust.

Egts are a lot higher now as well. about 1100 with my foot down.

I think I am on the right track, but not sure where I need to go from here.

Make sure your pump is tightened down.

There are timing marks by the stud and nut you see from the drivers fender. There is a small indent in the pump mounting flange.

Best to loosen all 3 nuts and advance the timing. Should help attain higher RPMs.

Also, if you have a loose wire to the fuel shutdown solenoid, it can make a low RPM/no power situation.

well it took awhile and a lot of money, but I am right back to where I started.

I sent in the pump to be rebuilt as it was leaking fuel. I also had the injectors tested. They were crap, so I purchased a set of bosch 7x.010 injectors.

Everything is reinstalled and same ol ****. Truck is a slug. Doesn't want to get over 50-60mph
Smokes like crazy with my foot down and still won't accelerate. Max boost is 12psi.
Egts are around 1100 trying to climb a hill.

really starting to hate this truck...

on a side note, I cannot free rev over 3000 rpms. I can adjust the stop screw to go higher, but all that seems to do is make more smoke. ideas?

Last edited:
I had a 4bt in a bread truck.
This is what I did.

Turned the fuel screw in 1 1/2 turns.
Changed the exhaust housing from an 18 to a 12.
Bumped the timing by turning the pump towards the head about a 1/4 inch.
This really woke it up.
It would run this truck up to 70 and was carrying about 12,000 lbs.
It was a 4 speed manual trans with 3.73 gears.

If I was the only one driving it I would of changed the gov. spring, but as it was it pulled to about 2500rpm.
Also most of the drivers were getting 14 mpg.

Double check for boost leaks and that the turbo itself is in good shape. If you're getting all kinds of smoke and no boost, fuel delivery is not the problem, air is.

no boost leaks anywhere. Turbo appears to be fine. Pulled from 05 ram with 30k on the odometer. I can hear it spool, when it finally does.

I adjusted the throttle stop so I can free rev to 3500rpms now.
I removed the wastegate actuator and installed a hook and clamped it down.
I also moved my boost gauge reference from the intake plate to the turbo itself, as if that matters but might let me see if there is a blockage in the intercooler.

With my foot to the floor in 3rd gear, really pressing it hard I can get it up to 20psi now, but only for a quick second. It is about 1k degrees at the point, but still will not go over 65 mph to save my life.

It does have 37" tires and 4.10 gears so no problem there. max power says 65 mph in 3rd @ 2500rpms. I cannot under any circumstances accelerate in OD at any speed.

I took the turbo off and then took it apart to check to make sure it is functioning properly.

Here is a short video of me free spinning it
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJTExSK13UI&feature=plcp"]turbo spin - YouTube[/ame]

Here are some pics of the housing. It looks like the compressor wheel might have made contact with the compressor housing, but not 100% sure. I think the shaft end play is a little excessive, but I am not qualified to determine that.

101712051.jpg

101712052.jpg

101712055.jpg

101712056.jpg

after I cleaned it up
101712058.jpg

what do you guys think?

Back