Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Entrance Gate- Welcome to Competition Diesel > Competition Events and Get-Togethers > SDX
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 10:16 PM   #21
Hammer

Name: Hammer
Title: Verbal Junk Author
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Scheid's dyno had extremely low hp numbers all weekend.
Obviously with a statement like this you have no idea what or how dyno's work.

I have seen John_P's 12v "Red Rocket" lay down over 800hp on fuel on many DynoJet's around the country and after seeing it on the Scheid dyno lay down in the high 680's on the Mustang it was easy to see how much harder the truck was worked.
The eddy load of the Mustang will easily snuff out the largest charger and may give you a better actual vision of what your truck is doing.

With that I am not saying the non-loaded jets are bad,they just give you a different tuning option and better repeatability.I have been on many types of jets with my truck but we mostly roll on Dynojet 248's and a Mustang 1750 with a dual eddy brake.Back in 2011 On a 248 my truck laid down 874hp and on the Mustang a few weeks later it made 879hp.On the 248 there was no load and on the 1750 it was loaded to 8000lbs.The difference between the runs was the increase in torque,on the 1750 we made 1702 Ft Lbs and on the 248 we made 1436 Ft Lbs.The difference was easy to see as we made only 80 psi on the 248 and on the 1750 we made over 100.

You guys have to relax on the numbers IMO.If the playing field is the same for everyone on any given dyno day then the numbers are what they are but they are not low.Now if all your worried about is overloading your testosterone and sticking your chest out because of what your truck makes,then maybe strapping your truck down may not be a good idea.Because if the variables snap your desired power away you may then end up with a temper tantrum and a bad case of little man syndrome.

There is ZERO WRONG with either dyno that was there that day.The guys who run those dyno's are not amateurs and have been doing that for a long time.They should be commended for working in that usually hot swampy,sticky way to warm air and still be able to keep the show moving to get everyone in.

Next time your going to dyno,think about your truck,check what the weather is(ask the jet operator what his weather is showing)or bring your own weather station.Tuning for the weather your trying to dyno in is no different than trying to drag race a truck without tuning for the weather your racing in.If you want max effort performance and do not put a max effort tune for the conditions your in,then you end up not happy and complaining about the poor little jet being wrong or low,instead of your lack of tuning.

Just my opinion after setting up some of the East Coasts biggest dyno shows and seeing way to many people complain after rolling on the jet.........Andy

Old 09-01-2013, 11:12 PM   #22
DALTRON

Name: DALTRON
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
I understand that when it comes to this type of event where dyno's are used and are setup for a broad range of vehicles that there is going to be some let down for people and what they expect to make. I knew this but was optimistic about everything and wanted to give it the benefit of the doubt and try it. I personally was let down just bc from personally experience. Between the time of my last dyno which was in Dec until Schied, I have made some big changes and have felt the changes in my truck and wanted to see my hard work, my money, and my time show for itself.

I believe that the people working the dyno do know their job, bc I spoke with them on something's and asked some questions and they were knowledgeable about it. But when I dyno'd iwhich was between 10-12 on Saturday and they told me I was the first one to hop for the day.

For the whole thing about bragging about how much power your truck makes and throwing a fit if its low.....we're guys......everyone of us wants to be awesome and brag about our own!!! It's the competitive nature in everyone of us to want those desired numbers. I'm not a cocky guy by any means but I still compare my truck to others and think...ya mines better or I think I could take them. Please don't think that I'm saying that I'm better than anyone bc I'm not.

My reasoning for hopping on the roller at Schied: I'm in the Air Force and I am leaving the country for Korea next weekend and I will be gone a year without my wife, my truck, my dogs...pretty much everything. Then be back stateside for a month and then again off to be stationed in England for 4 years where my truck WILL NOT fit at all over there. So there is 5 years essentially without my truck. Yes it will be takin care of and driven but will only have maybe 10k put on it in those 5 years. So I wanted to get numbers on my truck to see all my efforts payoff.

I'm not a troll and I am not a noob to the diesel world, ya i got 50ish post on here but doesnt mean i dont know chit. I search the CRAP outa anything and everything I can think of that could possibly pertain to my truck. I know that from searching and reading about people with my similar setup that I should be at X hp and X tq. Plus talk quite a bit with my tuner and other tuners to get to my goals.

Again not trying to start chit or argue with you Andy. Just stating why I was let down, but hey it's not the end of the world and its only numbers.......Dave

Old 09-01-2013, 11:15 PM   #23
LlyDMax

Name: LlyDMax
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
First, no one here ever claimed to know exactly how a dyno works. Second, you taking a statement and attempting to disprove my claim is ridiculous. I talked briefly to Gary about the differences between a mustang and dyno jet so you dont need to make claims about no one appreciating what they were doing the whole weekend. Also, i dont think anyone called anyone running the show an amateur. The fact of the matter is the numbers across the board were lower than anyone had expected Im sure. You even said yourself an 800whp truck only made 680 on a mustang which backs up what I was trying to say. He was the first one on the dyno saturday so maybe they were working out some kinks. I believe you completely when you say the loaded mustang can snuff out a large charger and kind of wish I could have stuck my truck on there to see the differences in numbers. No ones testosterone seem to be overloaded and I dont see any chests sticking out either.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk 4
Banks Intake, RC sleeves, IC pipes, Lowered,
Danville EFI Live, Fuel Octane's & Proxes

Old 09-02-2013, 05:48 AM   #24
Hammer

Name: Hammer
Title: Verbal Junk Author
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Again not trying to start chit or argue with you Andy. Just stating why I was let down, but hey it's not the end of the world and its only numbers.......Dave
Dave...
Never said you were and my post was meant to more then just you,it was also to my adoring fan club who sent me all those wonderful PM's telling me how wrong I was and how much of an idiot I am.Sorry,f I wasn't more clear and I should have probably should have answered my hate mail first,then worked on the rest.

Again,in the end,numbers are what they are and if the field is the same for all,then its a fair game for all.

Quote:
First, no one here ever claimed to know exactly how a dyno works. Second, you taking a statement and attempting to disprove my claim is ridiculous. I talked briefly to Gary about the differences between a mustang and dyno jet so you dont need to make claims about no one appreciating what they were doing the whole weekend. Also, i dont think anyone called anyone running the show an amateur. The fact of the matter is the numbers across the board were lower than anyone had expected Im sure. You even said yourself an 800whp truck only made 680 on a mustang which backs up what I was trying to say. He was the first one on the dyno saturday so maybe they were working out some kinks. I believe you completely when you say the loaded mustang can snuff out a large charger and kind of wish I could have stuck my truck on there to see the differences in numbers. No ones testosterone seem to be overloaded and I dont see any chests sticking out either.
See above as I tried a blanket answer and failed.
IMO and ONLY MINE,from the countless hours on the two jets I have spent,the closer the two are for numbers the better tuned your truck is.In the beginning my ride was off on the Mustang when compared to the DynoJet's.It took hours of work to get them as close as they are now and I can honestly say I like the Mustang alot better.

Too much stock is put in the jets numbers for bragging rights when in the end,anyone can lay down a number anywhere as long as they are prepared for the conditions they are rolling in.We named the jet we roll on at DGR Racing many many years ago "The Humbler" for reasons like are stated in this thread.Many owners will add up the sum of all their mods and say they are going to make xxx amount of power only to find out that the truck doesn't get close and their manhood is hurt and then the jet is to blame.When in fact better preparation and tuning for the prevelant conditions probably would have netted them a number close to what they "thought" they would make.Thats all I am trying to get across to you.

BTW...
The difference in John_P's truck at Scheids to me was more than just the jets being different.I was convinced that day that he didn't let it all hang out and when I questioned him on it that day all I got was his big ear to ear grin and the words...Getting the jet ready for today......Too which I laughed and walked away as I understood very well what happened.Many owners do not like following a high HP truck on the jet as they feel bad not getting close.I have seen that at many shows I enter and have run and usually those guys like to go at the end of each session,right before lunch and the end of the day.This is a fact I still do with mine and will try and make mine one of or the last roll of the day for that reason.

Old 09-02-2013, 10:35 AM   #25
DALTRON

Member`s Gallery
It's cool....people talk before they think sometimes. I'm guilty of it once or twice. The dyno definitely is a humbler!!!! Bc I thought I was gonna be Mr. Badarse the first time on the rollers and got humbled real quick. But hey only numbers right. But yeah this is a forum where we can gripe and complain but for the most part it's just to help each other out. Ya I felt like you pointed a finger at my for whining but I'm over it. So for me......on to the next whatever thread, idea, adventure, I can find and think of!!!

Old 09-02-2013, 11:43 AM   #26
3brorce

Name: 3brorce
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Dont let a dyno break your heart Dave lol, too bad I missed the dyno run. Hung around the track and pull more than the dyno as numbers are usually pooh anyway like many witnessed.

Old 09-02-2013, 12:17 PM   #27
6spd

Name: 6spd
Member`s Gallery
I dynoed 613 Saturday and was quite a bit less then anticipating

Old 09-02-2013, 12:26 PM   #28
JQmile

Name: JQmile
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Dynos can sometimes just be plain wrong too....can't forget about that. Like when Rudy made 630rwhp at TS a couple years ago after running 122mph at 8000 pounds (c.985rwhp).....

Old 09-02-2013, 05:27 PM   #29
DALTRON

Member`s Gallery
Thanks Phil lol I'm all better now!!!! I totally forgot I was in your neck of the woods and that you might be there. I woulda tried to meet up with ya. I was all over the place too and had a pretty good time for my last Diesel fix for AWHILE!!! But she's definitely running top notch for what I got and very pleased otherwise.

Old 09-02-2013, 07:29 PM   #30
3brorce

Name: 3brorce
Member`s Gallery
That sounds good man!

Old 09-18-2013, 10:27 PM   #31
Chris Tobin

Name: Chris Tobin
Member`s Gallery
Josh, in going through our photos from the event with your truck on the dyno Friday it was VERY smoky and never seemed to clean up at all through the run...

Freelance Editor and Photographer
Working with DIESEL WORLD, DIRT SPORTS, MUSCLE CAR POWER & STREET TRUCKS magazines
tobinemail@aol.com
I might be able to help get you in a mag.
Custom poster size photos available. PM or email for info.

Old 09-18-2013, 10:41 PM   #32
04.5ROHLING

Name: 04.5ROHLING
Member`s Gallery
Yea Chris that's the first time it has been dynoed with that setup and I have noticed it in the videos of me racing at my local track that the truck never cleans up I may try a different injector setup also because it still seams a little hot even with these big chargers

Old 09-18-2013, 11:06 PM   #33
Chris Tobin

Member`s Gallery
Probably leaving some power on the table then...

Working with DIESEL WORLD, DIRT SPORTS, MUSCLE CAR POWER & STREET TRUCKS magazines
tobinemail@aol.com

Old 09-18-2013, 11:12 PM   #34
04.5ROHLING

Name: 04.5ROHLING
Member`s Gallery
Yes sir I believe ur right the truck runs 7.30s in the 1/8 mile right now so there is room to improve for sure

Old 09-18-2013, 11:27 PM   #35
Chris Tobin

Member`s Gallery
Always is!!! That's probably A LOT faster than my truck!!!

Congrats on the double win BTW!!! Anyhow, I gotta finish up the SDX article now...

tobinemail@aol.com

Closed Thread