Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Shop Talk - Tool and Shop Discussion!
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shop Talk - Tool and Shop Discussion! Tool and Shop Discussion!

Closed Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 01:31 AM   #1
Fireman450

Name: Fireman450
Title: Daring to be diffrent!!
Member`s Gallery
Garage apartment

Here in the near future looking to start building a house and a shop. My current Idea is to build a 40'x60'x16' and in one end fix a 20'x40' one bedroom apt over the shop floor, to still have full use of shop floor space.
And stay there while Im building the house. Anybody else done this? Im just makin sure i catch all the angles ans dont over look anything major.

Doing it this way ill have a 40x40 bay area and under the apt ill be able to put my machining equipment and what not.
I figure my biggest expense would be concrete and septic. Also thought about using z-lock panels but havnt really looked into that yet.

Opinions???

Thanks
Play Toy:1994 Dodge 12V, SMOKE SHOWIN! 2WD Pulling Team. vs. 3.0 in progress. Thanks to Northeast Diesel, MUMAU DIESEL , PullTech Chassis & Fab, Cooper High Performance, SKPP, Joe Gibbs Racing/Driven Racing Oils and all my friends and family!

Old 03-13-2012, 01:54 AM   #2
duck_04

Name: duck_04
Title: resident quack
Member`s Gallery
Brian Parkers house is a pole barn. one half is his shop, the other is a finished house.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:57 AM   #3
1lowdiesel

Name: 1lowdiesel
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
That's my dream house.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:02 AM   #4
zstroken

Name: zstroken
Title: For $$$ your name here
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lowdiesel View Post
That's my dream house.

aim a little higher.

4x4Dually has a pretty sweet setup. We have toyed with something similar.
20x40 wouldn't do it though. .

I was thinking of a 40x40 overhead, with a 24x40 garage beneath, 16x30ish lower living area(tv room etc)(have an 10ish foot wide connector between garage and barn) then a 40x40 barn. Total building would be 40x80.
24V P-Pump Mafia member #1(retired)

Thanks to Mumau Diesel, Goerend Transmission, Northeast Diesel Service!

Old 03-13-2012, 08:13 AM   #5
ClamDigger4

Name: ClamDigger4
Member`s Gallery
I plan on building something similar. Except do a full basement under the living quarters in the rear and just a slab for the garage section. This way you double your living area without taking up any more room.

from phone

Old 03-13-2012, 08:45 AM   #6
1lowdiesel

Name: 1lowdiesel
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zstroken View Post
aim a little higher.
Hey I don't need anything big and fancy just to say I have something big and fancy. As long as i've got a shop big enough to store all my toys and it doubles as a nice house inside i'm happy.

Dennis has the ideal set up at the farm.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:11 AM   #7
Bosshawg600

Name: Bosshawg600
Title: PDP.com FireFighter
Member`s Gallery
Lynn, my buddy auctually has a set up just like this and its freakn sweet!!!!!

Not sure on measurements of the entire building, I want to say 40x80, but it does have a 2 bay shop on one side with an apartment on the othe side up top (Bedroom and kitchen) then under it he has a living room/badthroom. Both are open to the shop. Not much to look at on the outside other than some cool old gas station signs hung on the side. Inside has 2 big bays and one has a 4 post lift.

Best part is, he keeps it clean enough it looks like he has his cars parked inside a house when everyone is over and there is plenty of room for whatever he wants to do and it cost him less than 6 figures to build and furnish everything!

I think it would be a cool set up to live in for a while. Just need the property to put it on!

Last edited by Bosshawg600; 03-13-2012 at 11:14 AM.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:19 AM   #8
apocalypse1812

Name: apocalypse1812
Title: Nailed It!
Member`s Gallery
Suscribed, post some pics!

Old 03-13-2012, 11:38 AM   #9
Goose

Name: Goose
Title: Alabama Pimpin'
Member`s Gallery
Subscribed. When I win the lottery I will be doing this at the house.

Check out google sketch up. Pretty neat tool an it's free.
Bulletproof Diesel

COMPETITIONDIESEL.COM

R.I.P. Dex

Old 03-13-2012, 11:42 AM   #10
Fireman450

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zstroken View Post
aim a little higher.

4x4Dually has a pretty sweet setup. We have toyed with something similar.
20x40 wouldn't do it though. .

I was thinking of a 40x40 overhead, with a 24x40 garage beneath, 16x30ish lower living area(tv room etc)(have an 10ish foot wide connector between garage and barn) then a 40x40 barn. Total building would be 40x80.
Well right now 800sqft would do for just me.. lol Im a litle guy and dont take up that much space anyways... Unlike Mr Faker here VVVV...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosshawg600 View Post
Lynn, my buddy auctually has a set up just like this and its freakn sweet!!!!!

Not sure on measurements of the entire building, I want to say 40x80, but it does have a 2 bay shop on one side with an apartment on the othe side up top (Bedroom and kitchen) then under it he has a living room/badthroom. Both are open to the shop. Not much to look at on the outside other than some cool old gas station signs hung on the side. Inside has 2 big bays and one has a 4 post lift.

Best part is, he keeps it clean enough it looks like he has his cars parked inside a house when everyone is over and there is plenty of room for whatever he wants to do and it cost him less than 6 figures to build and furnish everything!

I think it would be a cool set up to live in for a while. Just need the property to put it on!
Id like to see some pics too. Im just looking to have something short term till i can get a few things in order to get the house im planning, out of my head an into reality..
Play Toy:1994 Dodge 12V, SMOKE SHOWIN! 2WD Pulling Team. vs. 3.0 in progress. Thanks to Northeast Diesel, MUMAU DIESEL , PullTech Chassis & Fab, Cooper High Performance, SKPP, Joe Gibbs Racing/Driven Racing Oils and all my friends and family!

Old 03-13-2012, 11:44 AM   #11
red dodge2

Name: red dodge2
Member`s Gallery
wanting to do the same thing. only problem im having is convincing the girlfriend to let me build it with metal on the outside. she wants wood instead of metal.

Tow rig: 2022 ram 3500 Laramie

puller: 97 3.6 pro stock diesel truck "CUMMIN ATCHA"

thanks to: Puredieselpower, Haisley Machine, Miley machine & fabrication, Northeast Diesel

Old 03-13-2012, 11:58 AM   #12
Fireman450

Member`s Gallery
only thing ill have to figure on is some form to catch all the exhaust from my truck an pipe it outside as not to try and kill everyone there... shouldnt be too hard to do tho. And also with me doing it upstairs ill cut a little cost by not having to have all my plumbing roughed into the slab.

Old 03-13-2012, 12:00 PM   #13
Fireman450

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by red dodge2 View Post
wanting to do the same thing. only problem im having is convincing the girlfriend to let me build it with metal on the outside. she wants wood instead of metal.
Thats where stuff like this comes in handy.

Log Siding - Seamless Steel Siding, Gutters, Windows, Roofing, Sunrooms - ABC Seamless

Old 03-13-2012, 12:16 PM   #14
06 DIESEL

Name: 06 DIESEL
Title: Dead Eye Firearms LLC
Member`s Gallery
I have wanted something like this since I was in high school. One day it will become a reality, and then if I find an ol' lady and she wants a house I have a place to rent out as an apartment, or it can be my doghouse.

My rig - 2021 Mega 3500 SRW

My Classic - 79 Chevy Silverado

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonA View Post
Trucks are like women. Sometimes you just need to spend money on them to keep them happy.

Old 03-13-2012, 12:21 PM   #15
zstroken

Name: zstroken
Title: For $$$ your name here
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireman450 View Post
only thing ill have to figure on is some form to catch all the exhaust from my truck an pipe it outside as not to try and kill everyone there... shouldnt be too hard to do tho. And also with me doing it upstairs ill cut a little cost by not having to have all my plumbing roughed into the slab.

Use a ventilation fan and pull the exhaust out.
24V P-Pump Mafia member #1(retired)

Thanks to Mumau Diesel, Goerend Transmission, Northeast Diesel Service!

Old 03-13-2012, 12:26 PM   #16
ClamDigger4

Name: ClamDigger4
Member`s Gallery
Let's see some pics...wouldn't mind some more ideas

from phone

Old 03-13-2012, 01:09 PM   #17
6.4 F-350

Name: 6.4 F-350
Member`s Gallery
I will try and get some pics on here, I have a 40x80 16' side walls that is my shop, home and office. The 2 thing I would suggest is in floor heat and still run HVAC in the house with a good air filtration system the floor heat dries everything out and dust is a problem. Also make sure zoning in your area will allow this before you get to far. I have pics on my phone but I still haven't figured out how to make them small enough to upload. PM me your e-mail and I can send them to you if you want.

2008 F-350 Sold
Spartan AFE
1998 Dodge someday pullin truck

Old 03-15-2012, 02:06 AM   #18
FIRST GEN. JAKE

Name: FIRST GEN. JAKE
Member`s Gallery
I'm also thinking bout building something similar my be a 40x60 shop over head doors on each end two post lift in middle. Then down side build my living quarters (not decided on dimensions) one bed maybe 2, living area/kitchen, bathroom. Finish it out like a house on the front with a porch and windows and such. If me and my dad buy the farm across the road I'd like to build it next couple years

Old 03-15-2012, 02:44 AM   #19
Fireman450

Member`s Gallery
Any one know of a good place to buy a pole barn kit from?? Ive been calling around a few places in the ky, tn area. Just wanted to check and see who yall have delt with. Id be able to do the apt myself.. would like to have the shop as close to turn key as i can get it.

Old 03-15-2012, 06:17 AM   #20
06 DIESEL

Name: 06 DIESEL
Title: Dead Eye Firearms LLC
Member`s Gallery
When I was looking at this very strongly a few years ago I was looking at steel buildings, there are several companies on the east coast that I looked at, can't remember their names now, but do a quick search on e-bay and you will find several, and you can get as turnkey as you want with them. Morton is a good company around my parents in central Illinois also if you want a wood pole barn.

My rig - 2021 Mega 3500 SRW

My Classic - 79 Chevy Silverado

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonA View Post
Trucks are like women. Sometimes you just need to spend money on them to keep them happy.

Closed Thread