Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Shop Talk - Tool and Shop Discussion!
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shop Talk - Tool and Shop Discussion! Tool and Shop Discussion!

Closed Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 09:08 AM   #41
zfaylor

Name: zfaylor
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggy238 View Post
Lol you asked a question?
yes. Remember I am speaking directly from an engine stand point. Engine and chassis are on two different buses or they are two isolated systems in the equipment I have personally seen that isn't ISO on all of the CNH equipment I have worked on. Might use the same plug to diagnose both (not common in CNH) but typically two wires man the chassis and two man the engine if using the same plug. I see the wiring is different but there is still the question of how can one plug directly into the ECM with a benchtop harness but not plug into diagnostic port with an adapter and communicate with it?

I also noticed the off-highway pinout shows 6 wires but the plug you posted a picture of is populated with 7 pins.

I am not trying to question you or your knowledge on it one bit either (you are much better versed on CAT stuff than I am) I am just a nerd with wirez and trying to grasp what is so drastically different other than pinout.

This is probably just one of those things best left alone and buying the right chit is part of the game.

North American Turbo

Old 09-15-2014, 10:36 AM   #42
Ackerdiesel

Name: Ackerdiesel
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zfaylor View Post
yes. Remember I am speaking directly from an engine stand point. Engine and chassis are on two different buses or they are two isolated systems in the equipment I have personally seen that isn't ISO on all of the CNH equipment I have worked on. Might use the same plug to diagnose both (not common in CNH) but typically two wires man the chassis and two man the engine if using the same plug. I see the wiring is different but there is still the question of how can one plug directly into the ECM with a benchtop harness but not plug into diagnostic port with an adapter and communicate with it?

I also noticed the off-highway pinout shows 6 wires but the plug you posted a picture of is populated with 7 pins.

I am not trying to question you or your knowledge on it one bit either (you are much better versed on CAT stuff than I am) I am just a nerd with wirez and trying to grasp what is so drastically different other than pinout.

This is probably just one of those things best left alone and buying the right chit is part of the game.

I'm almost set on Nexiq but my next question is what data link is used by CNH is it 1708 or 1939? Or is it a different plug? If so I wonder if one could get the plug and wire an adapter? I'm mainly looking for engine access.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BD Diesel Performance
Diesel Performance Converters
Pro Street Diesel
Drivelines Plus
Done Right Diesel Performance
Firepunk

Old 09-15-2014, 12:22 PM   #43
Ackerdiesel

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfaulkner View Post
Not sure what you mean. That link was for a Nexiq USB link. The software it supports is listed on their site. http://www.nexiq.com/node/3. My only concern was that its a Chinese clone.

Where have you found being the best place to get software?

BD Diesel Performance
Pro Street Diesel
Drivelines Plus
Firepunk

Old 09-15-2014, 01:19 PM   #44
jfaulkner

Name: jfaulkner
Title: Douche Hunter
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackerdiesel View Post
Where have you found being the best place to get software?

PM sent

Old 09-16-2014, 03:21 PM   #45
1-5-3-6-2-4

Name: 1-5-3-6-2-4
Title: Low-Tech Redneck
Member`s Gallery
Quote:

You can make a breakout harness to plug directly into an ECM. Ive programmed probably a hundred series60 ECMs out of the chassis with a breakout harness on a desktop computer. We actually had a programming station at a desk in the Detroit shop I used to work at.

on industrial equipment Cat ET does use the same protocol to talk to any of the controllers on the equipment. that includes engine, powertrain, implement. whichever. Our 992G loader has 7 or 9 different ECMs you can choose to talk to with ET.

Our new D10T2's have even more ECMs.

---------------------------------------------------
'06 Ford F450 CCSB Lariate 37" Toyos Ppump 24v
'94 Dodge 2500 2wd RCLB 12v auto
'73 Camaro RS/Z-28 - soon LS3 stroked and forged

Last edited by 1-5-3-6-2-4; 09-16-2014 at 03:25 PM.

Old 09-16-2014, 09:57 PM   #46
biggy238

Name: biggy238
Member`s Gallery
I think I can give you guys a cat breakout schematic of you would like.

05.5 Campanella White TDi Jetta 5spd 45.5MPG
-Little Sexy
'10 Silver F250 CCLB 4X4 6.4L cummins Swapped
Insta @trash.panda250

Old 09-17-2014, 10:04 AM   #47
biggy238

Member`s Gallery
See if this works. Has a provision for J1939. We have throttle inputs on ours but it isn't on this schematic.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Bypass Schematic.pdf (54.8 KB, 0 views)

-Little Sexy
Insta @trash.panda250

Old 09-17-2014, 11:14 AM   #48
zfaylor

Name: zfaylor
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Oh em gee. Thank ya biggy!

and yeah I have made several benchtop harness' for myself and some close customers. It makes me laugh when people are scared of wires. Only because I used to be and now that I understand schematics and how to make connectors it is actually kind of fun and entertaining.

Given the software uses the same protocol for on and off road I believe you could make a small adapter harness to use inline between the off road female diagnostic plug and on road nexiq plug. I might have to test this theory next time one of our pieces is in for a service.

North American Turbo

Old 09-17-2014, 02:26 PM   #49
biggy238

Member`s Gallery
Not sure nexiq is J1587

-Little Sexy
Insta @trash.panda250

Old 09-17-2014, 11:13 PM   #50
Ackerdiesel

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Oh em gee. Thank ya biggy!

and yeah I have made several benchtop harness' for myself and some close customers. It makes me laugh when people are scared of wires. Only because I used to be and now that I understand schematics and how to make connectors it is actually kind of fun and entertaining.

Given the software uses the same protocol for on and off road I believe you could make a small adapter harness to use inline between the off road female diagnostic plug and on road nexiq plug. I might have to test this theory next time one of our pieces is in for a service.

If you'd be willing to try that it'd be greatly appreciated. I just got swamped so I'm a bit behind where I wanted to be on getting diag tools but it's in the works

BD Diesel Performance
Pro Street Diesel
Drivelines Plus
Firepunk

Closed Thread