DEF in the diesel tank!?

dangerous06

diesel tech
Got a customer that has a 2014. He lent the truck to a friend and he put a gallon of DEF in the diesel tank! Then filled the truck and drove it.
WHAT is DEF and what will it do to the fuel system?
He says the truck runs like crap was told the injectors are shot and will cost
14k to replace everything that was effected! That is a dealer quote!
Anybody have any info on this crap? Is it acidic or caustic or?

Did a bunch or reading and yes he's screwed!
It eats metal! Anything fuel related needs to be replaced!
Wow what a nightmare dealerships drool when this situation is towed in!

2b2337e1722cc7491fbd8c579ae2da5fcaae6060b90008793dc89a8e51ccdf6f.jpg

Got a customer that has a 2014. He lent the truck to a friend and he put a gallon of DEF in the diesel tank! Then filled the truck and drove it.

It's water and urea.

Doesnt Dodge have a water separating system? Why not drain the fuel tank and flush the fuel system first and then react?

I can't believe people can't see the BLUE lid and the word "DEF" when they open the fuel door. :doh:

If he needs injectors and a CP3, I think I can help him out. :cool:

Mark.

Everything on the fuel system side will need to be replaced, all oem an cummins lines flushed an tank cleaned out. Definitely not a cheap mistake. Although mixing it the other way around isn't that costly, see that every now an then.

Truer words have never been spoken. Trust your neighbors, brand your cattle, and change all your trailer plugs to something no one uses. LOL

I work at a truck dealership. You'd be surprised how often this happens. We even get some in where the driver fills the def tank with diesel. Not sure how they get the nozzle in there, but by damn they figure it out.

Wow that's amazing would think once in a blue moon but no stupid runs rampant!
Glad he can do the insurance!
Mark Yes Ic an use a set of injectors and a CP3 For a 6.7 Is there a difference between the 12 to 14 15?
Also do you have any 5.9 heads that are rebuildable? Can use 3 right now!

Supposedly the 13 and up injectors are different and cause injector codes, if they are wrong, but some people are saying they aren't different.
Who knows for sure? ;)

I may have 3 heads, but I'm not shipping anything heavy at the moment
It's muddy as heck here and I can't get back there to load a transmission, much less cylinder heads.

Mark.

Back