Another Diesel in the driveway to play with!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKYNYRD

"Drunkard"
Finally got myself a tdi! Mods list is already in the works!
10625069_737093617021_4718545906644222222_n.jpg

I got it for $3500 with 161k on the clock. It has a white smoke at start up and a haze while idle and smells of oil so thinking it is a seal in the turbo leaking. This car is pretty much stock except for the suspension changes.
First thing is to replace the head light lens and get it inspected and tagged.
Mods list:
short shifter
SB stage two clutch
Bosio pp520 tips
VNT 17 turbo
malone flashzilla
2.5" turbo back
3 bar map
Re-tint the windows
few other things to clean up the looks.

I got it for $3500 with 161k on the clock. It has a white smoke at start up and a haze while idle and smells of oil so thinking it is a seal in the turbo leaking. This car is pretty much stock except for the suspension changes.
First thing is to replace the head light lens and get it inspected and tagged.
Mods list:
short shifter
SB stage two clutch
Bosio pp520 tips
VNT 17 turbo
malone flashzilla
2.5" turbo back
3 bar map
Re-tint the windows
few other things to clean up the looks.

Needs new eyes buddy...those ones look like they're hazed shut! LOL
Good find though! :rockwoot:

Well had my first issue with this thing today. On my way to work I lost the ability to build any boost over 5psi. So I limped it home and tested all the tubing from the turbo to the motor and it held 20psi no issues. Then I noticed the pipe from the turbo to the egr cooler had a soot ring around it. Yup the pipe broke right at the first ring of the flex section. Lucky me I had an egr delete kit sitting here waiting for the weekend to get installed. The egr delete fairy made and emergency visit this evening!

Now that the leaky egr is gone this thing is a blast to drive. I'm surprised at the amount of room inside that thing. I'm 6'3" and not even close to hitting my head and plenty of leg room.

So made it thru the first tank of fuel. 582 miles to 12.95 gals. Pretty much 45mpg with 170 miles with a drive pressure leak cause of the egr pipe. Hopefully mileage will only get better this go round!

So I know I have been absent for a while here. That kinda happens when you're overseas for an extended amount of time. So just before I left in Jan 2015 I discovered that I had blowby most likely because of a cracked piston ring so the engine is coming out for a rebuild and there are plenty of mods going into this engine when its rebuilt.

sucks you have to pull it, but be cool to build one up. I'll have to watch this one for ideas for the beetle.

I have rods, girdle, and studs ready and waiting along with front and rear sway bars, a stage 3 front brake kit and new wheels and tires. Also going to upgrade the trans from a 5 speed to a 6 speed and a limited slip differential.

I have rods, girdle, and studs ready and waiting along with front and rear sway bars, a stage 3 front brake kit and new wheels and tires. Also going to upgrade the trans from a 5 speed to a 6 speed and a limited slip differential.

Yeah I'm getting more into modding my VW now than my car since its cheaper.
Where did you get the 5-6 speed swap and what did it run you?

You would have to look into what the gear ratios you'll end up with in relation to the conversion and actually swapping in the 6 spd trans. The differential ratio with the conversion actual drop the RPM about 200 more than the stock 6 spd trans at 70 mph. It's always half a dozen one, half a dozen another.
02M_comparison_0A4.png

Last edited:
You would have to look into what the gear ratios you'll end up with in relation to the conversion and actually swapping in the 6 spd trans. The differential ratio with the conversion actual drop the RPM about 200 more than the stock 6 spd trans at 70 mph. It's always half a dozen one, half a dozen another.
02M_comparison_0A4.png

What is the LSD costing you? I actually asked my local VW guy about swap last week... he said the 5spd's are only worth about $500 anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back