Running a Split gear ratio

98dodgecummins

Hi everyone ive got a 2.6 smoothbore pull truck, right now i'm running 4.88 gears front and rear, seems like the truck needs a little more wheel speed. would I be better off changing front and rear to 4.56s or would it be better to keep rear 4.88 and front to 4.56s. truck makes 800 hp on engine dyno just dont want to go to high of a gear and not have enough power. running 35 inch tires on a hard track I usually snuff out at the end. running nv4500 in 4lo 4th gear.I dont know a whole lot about split gearing any help would be appreciated thanks.

Hi everyone ive got a 2.6 smoothbore pull truck, right now i'm running 4.88 gears front and rear, seems like the truck needs a little more wheel speed. would I be better off changing front and rear to 4.56s or would it be better to keep rear 4.88 and front to 4.56s. truck makes 800 hp on engine dyno just dont want to go to high of a gear and not have enough power. running 35 inch tires on a hard track I usually snuff out at the end. running nv4500 in 4lo 4th gear.I dont know a whole lot about split gearing any help would be appreciated thanks.

Back in the slotted cover days, most trucks around here ran a profab nv. Solves what you are describing

So would a profab nv give me a little more wheel speed i wonder what the final drive would be with one right now im at 13.2 final drive. how much would one of those run. thanks

I have run split ratios for years. 5.29 in the rear and 4.88 up front. It worked great with the drop box where you can speed up or slow down the wheels there so you can keep it in your optimum range. It almost kinda feels like when you run a faster gear in the front in "stretches" the truck. Think about how much more traction the rear end has over the front when the sled weight gets on it. I thought that the front would be working harder therefore keeping it pulling later in the run. That being said I have a stack of Dana 60 parts in the scrap pile that didn't agree with me but hey, we don't sled pull to be easy on parts. Thank god for open driveline now LOL

That is a tough group of 2.6 trucks in Missouri, an honest answer would most likely be to find more power and not worry about the gearing.

If you’re snuffing with your 4.88’s then gearing the truck faster may not be the answer. Easier said than done (2.6 smooth bore) but try to find more power then maybe a 4.63/4.56 combo would work especially with single rears.

Thanks guys yeah I'm pretty new too pulling just trying to get all the info I can get that's my plan would like to be closer to 1000 hp looks like where I got my engine dynoed he said my injectors were holding me back might look into something different running 6x0.018 single feed injectors . I'll probably stick with 4.88s for now

Thanks guys yeah I'm pretty new too pulling just trying to get all the info I can get that's my plan would like to be closer to 1000 hp looks like where I got my engine dynoed he said my injectors were holding me back might look into something different running 6x0.018 single feed injectors . I'll probably stick with 4.88s for now

Yeah you could definitely use some more injector, Id say at the very least dual feeds if not bigger on the nozzle. someone like Smokem could be more help finding the right tip for your application , quite a few puller running his stuff

2nd smokem on here. He runs infinite performance! A great stand-up guy and willing to help out when he can.

Back