Rod comparisons

ryanss22

Going to be going deckplate this summer on my 3.0 build. I I am looking into a few different rod company's,
D&J, Wagler, Carrillo, or Apex. Each are rated for more then the HP I'll be making, just not sure if one is better then the other? I had a std. Length set of Carrillos in my last engine, and they did good, I just didn't like that as a brand new rod they needed oil clearances machined on them.

Any opinions or personal experiences with any of these rods? Or maybe anouther suggestion?

Going to be going deckplate this summer on my 3.0 build. I I am looking into a few different rod company's,
D&J, Wagler, Carrillo, or Apex. Each are rated for more then the HP I'll be making, just not sure if one is better then the other? I had a std. Length set of Carrillos in my last engine, and they did good, I just didn't like that as a brand new rod they needed oil clearances machined on them.

Any opinions or personal experiences with any of these rods? Or maybe anouther suggestion?

I’ve used a dozen sets of the APEX rods and have always been happy with them being consistent in size and weight. His new Deckplate rods have 1/2” rod bolts.

I’ve used a dozen sets of the APEX rods and have always been happy with them being consistent in size and weight. His new Deckplate rods have 1/2” rod bolts.

Must’ve finally totaled up the failure record with the 7/16 fasteners and/or realized sales were being delegated to the others mentioned. I have used two sets of apex rods with ok results, better than Carrillo imo. The d&j rods seem to get my vote due to the pressurized wrist pin and extra burnishing in the wrist pin journal. Currently doing a customers engine with Wagler rods, the weights aren’t that consistent, but thankfully neither are the wrist pins. So it shouldn’t be too bad to balance out.

Castner’s.
Had driveline issues twice in one weekend and the logger saw two spikes of about 7000RPM.
Ran the truck the rest of the season with no issues.
Checked them out over the winter and they were perfectly fine.

What does the pressurized wrist pin and extra burnishing in journal do? Allow for extra oil to get there?

Personally have seen a stretched bolt after a couple seasons. Yes, but that’s not on the rod design. When Dustin first went public with them I hassled him about not using a 1/2” fastener. As I had issues with a set of r&rs. The d&j rod has an oil port from the crank to the wrist pin. So it pressurizes the wrist pin, the burnishing is like cross hatching. So yes it’s all about lubrication. On a 3” truck is it necessary? Not really. But on something with a good bit more power, it might be. No

Probably not needed for a 3.0 truck but we use Fink Machine rods in all our SS. 3000+ HP, 3000+ torque, 6500+ RPMs (on a regular basis). Buy them once and continue to use them to grow into higher classes if you want.

Back