paint and primer guns

I shouldnt be down to bare metal in many spots. Mainly if i weld up the screw holes for the fender flares. That should be all the metal i see. Can i prep those areas with the epoxy primer then do sandable on the rest and over the epoxy primer on the fenders?

You sure can. Make sure to coat the backside of those welds with something to avoid rusting from the inside out!

Roger that. I will probably start with something like the bed. And go from there. Lots of flat area and i can take it off the truck. One thing that is encouraging is sonic blue metallic is what it is. No color matching or hues to worry about. Or so i would think.

Roger that. I will probably start with something like the bed. And go from there. Lots of flat area and i can take it off the truck. One thing that is encouraging is sonic blue metallic is what it is. No color matching or hues to worry about. Or so i would think.

Just make sure you stir the paint extremely well to make sure you get even paint if you will be painting the bed separate from the truck. Also remove the bed from your spray area when you spray the truck so overspray doesn't ruin the job on your bed. Like I mentioned earlier ask your supplier if a drop coat is recommended on their metallics.

you have to sand the backside of your welds too if accessible. The discoloration doesn't like to hold onto primers.

I use an LPH400 for base and clear. Harbor freight guns for epoxy primer and high build primer.

SPI epoxy sands great, I don't really like high build as it tends to be softer.

Fwiw, sonic blue has two different pearl additives in it.
It lays down pretty nice though.
I Use two different guns, one for primer and one for sealer/base/clear.
Like it has been mentioned, make sure you have plenty of supply air and make sure to use a good dryer/filter setup before your gun.
You can go the cheaper route on most of your primer and base products but make sure you use a good clear and make sure you apply enough of it that you can wet sand out any minor imperfections without getting into your base.

Fwiw, sonic blue has two different pearl additives in it.
It lays down pretty nice though.
I Use two different guns, one for primer and one for sealer/base/clear.
Like it has been mentioned, make sure you have plenty of supply air and make sure to use a good dryer/filter setup before your gun.
You can go the cheaper route on most of your primer and base products but make sure you use a good clear and make sure you apply enough of it that you can wet sand out any minor imperfections without getting into your base.

Elaborate on the pearl additives? These need added to the basecoat??

Thanks for all the info guys? I plan on spending the coin on good primer, clear, and base. Also on a filter setup.

Back