Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech- General Diesel > Exterior Care
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Exterior Care Wash, Wax, Paint, Body, Buffing, and Polishing.

Closed Thread

Old 09-12-2015, 03:14 PM   #1
Bosshawg600

Name: Bosshawg600
Title: PDP.com FireFighter
Member`s Gallery
Anyone done a Vinal Wrap?

So after a few years, my paint has seen better days. So in looking at all kinds of options and different Ideas, ive been researching doing a wrap. I talked with a shop locally, and the said for a full color it will run around $4K while a paint job for my truck is about 2500-3K. To me being an older truck with higer miles.... not really worth throwing that much money into it. And I dont need any body work, so a paint job is not needed, just wanted.

Ive looked into wraps just due to the fact that its easily repairable if I do get a scratch, ding or whatever.... just re-wrap that body panel. Biggest thing I like, is I can change colors or what every pretty easily and to buy enough wrap its only 250 bucks or so, so not very expensive.

I thought it might be a good late winter project to do right before spring or around then. Plus Im tired of looking at my dull, faded and peeling clear coat!!!

Old 09-12-2015, 03:33 PM   #2
zstroken

Name: zstroken
Title: For $$$ your name here
Member`s Gallery
I dont understand your questions, are you saying you can buy the materials for $250 and wrap it yourself?

i am betting for $250 the wrap is junk, and would work great on a semi trailer or something with very few curves. putting it on a vehicle with lots of curves will be challenging with a cheap wrap.
24V P-Pump Mafia member #1(retired)

Thanks to Mumau Diesel, Goerend Transmission, Northeast Diesel Service!

Last edited by zstroken; 09-12-2015 at 03:35 PM.

Old 09-13-2015, 02:11 AM   #3
B_Bail

Name: B_Bail
Title: *
Member`s Gallery
Plasti-Dip

Old 09-13-2015, 07:50 AM   #4
zfaylor

Name: zfaylor
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Paint it.

Nothing else is quite the same. Plus nothing is cost effective. I had $700 in materials to paint my truck and that included a cab corner.

If you have no desire to paint but want to save some coin you can get the paint sprayed. Do the prep work yourself, strip the truck, take it to get sprayed. I am sure you could find somebody at a body shop to moonlight it for you for cheap.

I wouldn't do vinyl and definitely not plasti dip. I wish the auto world never discovered that stuff. Great for small parts, terrible for a vehicle.

North American Turbo

Old 09-13-2015, 09:36 AM   #5
Bosshawg600

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Bail View Post
Plasti-Dip
Nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by zstroken View Post
I dont understand your questions, are you saying you can buy the materials for $250 and wrap it yourself?

i am betting for $250 the wrap is junk, and would work great on a semi trailer or something with very few curves. putting it on a vehicle with lots of curves will be challenging with a cheap wrap.
The wrap itself is cheap, not cheap quality. Its not hard to find or get. My prices were based on 3M film on a rough estimate for the Square Feet that will be needed. Ive seen a few wraps and they dont look bad at all, heck most of the time its hard to tell its not paint. Best thing I like, if it starts looking like crap, it just peels off and back to origional paint. And being a Regular cab truck, there arent too many chalenging parts, just lots of flat areas.

I thought about buying a little bit and wrapping a few less noticeable parts to see how it looks and how it holds up before I do the entire truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zfaylor View Post
Paint it.

Nothing else is quite the same. Plus nothing is cost effective. I had $700 in materials to paint my truck and that included a cab corner.

If you have no desire to paint but want to save some coin you can get the paint sprayed. Do the prep work yourself, strip the truck, take it to get sprayed. I am sure you could find somebody at a body shop to moonlight it for you for cheap.

I wouldn't do vinyl and definitely not plasti dip. I wish the auto world never discovered that stuff. Great for small parts, terrible for a vehicle.
I agree, nothing beats paint, Im just looking at different options. Hopefully soon this truck is just going to be a "Fun Toy" and be DDing something else, so a nice paint job isnt super high on the list of "needs".

Old 09-13-2015, 09:50 AM   #6
TheBac

Name: TheBac
Title: UPS guy
Member`s Gallery
I think you could easily add a "0" to your $250 in order to get a bare bones-quality vinyl wrap done. A new paint job be cheaper (and better) in the long run.

2017 Buick Regal 2.0T -- the DD

Old 09-13-2015, 11:22 AM   #7
Bosshawg600

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBac View Post
I think you could easily add a "0" to your $250 in order to get a bare bones-quality vinyl wrap done. A new paint job be cheaper (and better) in the long run.
More like add a 0 and double that!!! A graphics company I talked to said solid color wraps are 4-5K!!!! For some reason solid colors are more expensive then graphics..... Im talking buying the wrap straight from the factory and wraping myself. The wrap is cheap, it just takes time to get it all on. Thinking it would be a cool, fun project to do and not being permenant like paint, hard to mess up bad.

Old 09-13-2015, 11:55 AM   #8
zstroken

Name: zstroken
Title: For $$$ your name here
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosshawg600 View Post
Nope

The wrap itself is cheap, not cheap quality. Its not hard to find or get. My prices were based on 3M film on a rough estimate for the Square Feet that will be needed. Ive seen a few wraps and they dont look bad at all, heck most of the time its hard to tell its not paint. Best thing I like, if it starts looking like crap, it just peels off and back to origional paint. And being a Regular cab truck, there arent too many chalenging parts, just lots of flat areas.

I thought about buying a little bit and wrapping a few less noticeable parts to see how it looks and how it holds up before I do the entire truck.

I agree, nothing beats paint, Im just looking at different options. Hopefully soon this truck is just going to be a "Fun Toy" and be DDing something else, so a nice paint job isnt super high on the list of "needs".

I would be curious where you can get the 3M wrap for a complete vehicle for $250. There is alot of chinese counterfeit out there.
24V P-Pump Mafia member #1(retired)

Thanks to Mumau Diesel, Goerend Transmission, Northeast Diesel Service!

Old 09-13-2015, 01:33 PM   #9
Bosshawg600

Member`s Gallery
Amazon sells a lot of it, along with private other companies. Figuring up Sq. Ft. needed is probably the hard part. But before I do the entire truck, I would do a few pannels as a test.

Id like to go with something differnt, and a Matte color is what Im wanting, and everyone knows paint a matte color is HARD!!! Thus the wrap idea.... much easier, cheaper and safer.

Old 09-17-2015, 04:44 PM   #10
wolpert83

Name: wolpert83
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Line-x it...no washing or waxing just power wash and you're good to go..and u don't have to worry about scratches

Old 09-17-2015, 05:57 PM   #11
Bustedknuckles

Name: Bustedknuckles
Title: Honey Badger
Member`s Gallery
I have a friend who is a professional graphics guy and vinyl wrapper. It is definitely a art! Here's his car he did.
Click the image to open in full size.
And here is a truck i just deleted and tuned that the guy had wrapped. Not my style but pretty cool looking. Click the image to open in full size.

Old 09-17-2015, 06:01 PM   #12
zfaylor

Name: zfaylor
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
I assume vinyl is much more difficult than tint. If that is in fact the case then I wouldn't attempt vinyl personally. Some things are worth paying for.

North American Turbo

Old 09-18-2015, 08:05 AM   #13
Bosshawg600

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zfaylor View Post
I assume vinyl is much more difficult than tint. If that is in fact the case then I wouldn't attempt vinyl personally. Some things are worth paying for.
ya, i agree there! I just bought some of the cheaper stuff in a small sheet to lay a bit down to guage how i like it, how it will look and decide from there..... Ill see how this goes and also decide if I want to tackle the job or not!

Old 09-18-2015, 09:22 AM   #14
aka_chewy

Name: aka_chewy
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
What's kind of vinyl is it? Actual vinyl for wrapping has some technology built in for air release so you don't get bubbles. That's why the good stuff costs so much. The basic intermediate vinyl will be tough to get bubble free and to conform to curves. A heat gun and lots of application fluid will help....and lots of time.

Old 09-18-2015, 11:13 AM   #15
JD Dearden

Name: JD Dearden
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
My bumpers are done. I would do it a similar color to the truck so when it chips you cant tell.

Old 09-18-2015, 05:28 PM   #16
Bosshawg600

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aka_chewy View Post
What's kind of vinyl is it? Actual vinyl for wrapping has some technology built in for air release so you don't get bubbles. That's why the good stuff costs so much. The basic intermediate vinyl will be tough to get bubble free and to conform to curves. A heat gun and lots of application fluid will help....and lots of time.
Its Vivid brand, just something cheap to do some testing on. Its suposidly bubble free, but we will see.

If I like it, I have an idea of Square foot it will take and order the right amount of 3M vynal and do it propperly.

Old 09-18-2015, 06:19 PM   #17
97$moker

Name: 97$moker
Title: Hukt on fonix wurkt fr me
Member`s Gallery
https://m.facebook.com/XtremeGraphix...pe=1&source=42

This is one of the owners of a graphics company here, I would like to do one with colors kinda like that. They do alot of badazz wraps.

Old 11-16-2015, 02:19 PM   #18
HightechRedneck

Name: HightechRedneck
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Im going to revive this thread. I did my car in Vvivid 8 gloss black on the roof. Its easier than window tint. I'm doing a full car wrap this winter to it. watch a few videos and go from there. I would spend the extra 100 to 200 on getting avery or 3m 1080. they are easier to work with and lay nicer.

Bagged 00 Jetta big turbo TDI - DRTY DZL
Bagged 03 Jetta Wagon TDI - DALY DZL

07 Dodge Ram Dually 12v swapped g56 - HULN DZL

ISSPRO GAUGES, XS BATTERY DÜRTY DZL PERFORMANCE

Old 11-16-2015, 03:30 PM   #19
SHughes

Name: SHughes
Title: Too much is never enough!
Member`s Gallery
I hate it when you guys make me thinking of **** I don't need to do.

Old 11-16-2015, 07:00 PM   #20
GOT-Torque

Name: GOT-Torque
Title: is
Member`s Gallery
I had the pulling truck done with a vinyl wrap, actually helped him put it on. The fender flares and sport bumper were a PITA! The rest wasn't too bad. He was new at it and it shows, but it was heavily discounted. Looks great from the stands which is all I was after, otherwise I would of had it professionally painted.

EATSOOT.com

Closed Thread