Balancing rods and pistons ?

05hummincummins

smoked ya
Well ive tried the search feature but came up with no solid answer. So here is my dilima , last year when i balanced the pistons and rods i took the lightest piston and put on the heaviest rod. then i made them all weight the same. Now i have just left the machine shop and the guy told me that i need to do the balancing differently. He said that i need to make all the pistons weight the same, all the little ends of the rods weight the same, and also make all the big ends of the rods weight the same . So which way is the right way of doin this?

The way the machine shop told you to do it. What you did was way wrong. All pistons must weigh the same , small ends need to weigh the same and all big ends need to weigh the same. The way you did it if the lightest piston is on the heaviest rod how do you know were the weight is in the rod, could all be in the big in which will affect the rotating mass

Last edited:
Now when i do them that way will they total weight all end up the same or are they gona weight differently? By the way its a 12 valve that i am balancing.

The way the machine shop told you to do it. What you did was way wrong. All pistons must weigh the same , small ends need to weigh the same and all big ends need to weigh the same. The way you did it if the lightest piston is on the heaviest rod how do you know were the weight is in the rod, could all be in the big in which will affect the rotating mass

Correct.

Now when i do them that way will they total weight all end up the same or are they gona weight differently? By the way its a 12 valve that i am balancing.

After you weigh each end of the rod, total the 2 numbers and then lay the complete rod on the scale and it should come up to the same number as when you totaled the 2 numbers, each rod has to weigh the same. I always way both the pistons and rods at the end to make sure all numbers match.

Jeremy, what jig/tool are you using to hold the "other end" while weighing? I have seen a couple ways to do it, wondering what you prefer.

Back