Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Shop Talk - Tool and Shop Discussion! > Tools
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 06:59 AM   #1
oldestof11

Name: oldestof11
Title: Drag racer
Member`s Gallery
Thermal Arc 211i Fabricator

Anyone used these? Looking at buying one with a TIG torch. My local welding supplier carries these. They're made by TWECO/Victor tech.

$1200 with torch.

http://victortechnologies.com/Therma...SB_3-30-12.pdf

Old 08-25-2015, 07:57 AM   #2
Freezingsystems

Name: Freezingsystems
Title: Modify Everything
Member`s Gallery
I bought one for my shop a few years ago that is in use almost daily. No issues to date. The rest of our small field machines are Miller Maxstar 150's. The Thermal Arc work's great for the money, we mostly use it for tig stainless and it has been a good machine with a decent arc.

Two years ago the thermal arc was running a special around $900 IIRC for the complete setup which was a great value. Compared to $1350 for the Miller Maxstar machine. The mig feature is decent for what it is, it does have short leads. Usually I buy our machines bare and outfit them with 20' tig torches, ground leads and foot pedals for ease of use when working on or building larger equipment.

The only downfall when using it in the field is it requires 240 volt single phase power instead of 110v like the Maxstar machines. So your limited to available power when using it. Home or shop use is obviously no problem.
92 W250 EFI 6.7 "OLD UGLY" 1292.7 HP #2

Old 08-25-2015, 09:45 AM   #3
oldestof11

Member`s Gallery
It has a 220-> 110 plug.

Old 08-25-2015, 10:38 AM   #4
Freezingsystems

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldestof11 View Post
It has a 220-> 110 plug.
I forgot to add running it using the 110 volt power is very weak and shuts down early to cool down, even on light sheet metal projects. That's where the Miller Maxstar really shines it has a better inverter technology with 100% duty cycle.

The thermal arc really performs nice using it with 220 volt. We quit trying to run it on 110 volts. If running on 110 volts at full amperage it pulls more then 20 amps and a standard outlet just trips the breaker.

Hope that helps explain it. Great machine still I would focus on using it as a 220 volt machine.

Old 08-25-2015, 06:01 PM   #5
oldestof11

Member`s Gallery
Well, I got it minus the TIG torch. $1200 out the door with a bottle of 80/20. They wanted another $250 for the torch. I've found it online for $100 less.

Another note. ESAB just bought out TWECO who bought Victor Technologies who bought out Thermal ARC.

Old 08-25-2015, 07:12 PM   #6
Freezingsystems

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldestof11 View Post
Well, I got it minus the TIG torch. $1200 out the door with a bottle of 80/20. They wanted another $250 for the torch. I've found it online for $100 less.

Another note. ESAB just bought out TWECO who bought Victor Technologies who bought out Thermal ARC.
Nice you'll be happy with it. Usually you can pickup a 20' weldcraft torch and lead 150 amp for under $80. Cheap argon regulator flow meter combo are $40 and I like to use SSC controls for foot pedals for under 150 shipped. Just give them your make and model and they will hook you up with any foot pedal for any welding machine.

Old 08-25-2015, 08:21 PM   #7
oldestof11

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freezingsystems View Post
Nice you'll be happy with it. Usually you can pickup a 20' weldcraft torch and lead 150 amp for under $80. Cheap argon regulator flow meter combo are $40 and I like to use SSC controls for foot pedals for under 150 shipped. Just give them your make and model and they will hook you up with any foot pedal for any welding machine.

I should also say I got a TWECO cause that's what they had in stock.

Considering the old Lincoln tombstone 220a AC, this thing lights easy and is easily adjusted. I am loving it!

Another thing to note. The guy I was talking with and bought from was the customer relations manager of the welding outfit. He said he found it curious that he was getting miller trained when this model came out. He was up at their factory and they had a Thermal Arc 211 tore apart in a room. A few months later they had a model very similar but for nearly $2000. The managers preference is the Fabricator. He said he owns a Miller and uses a TWECO at his parents farm. He wishes he had bought the TWECO with how everything was much cheaper but did the same work.

Closed Thread