Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 98-02 2nd Gen.
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 08:52 AM   #1
Yotadzl

Name: Yotadzl
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
02 24v dying, P1694 code

I have been fighting this truck. It is an '02 Cummins 5 speed. The problem is intermittent dying after the engine warms up, roughly 3 miles worth of driving. When it happens the ECM loses communication. It will happen continuously when the engine is hot. It will start, run for a 5-30 seconds, then die. It may start right back up, or it may take a minute or two for it to "reset" and start. The only code that sets is a P1694 Loss of communication with the ECM. This code sets in the PCM when the engine dies.
I remved the Edge Comp box first. I have diagnosed the ECM powers and grounds, both by proving them out with a head lamp bulb and back probing to monitor voltage and ground when the problem occurs. No problem was found there. I diagnosed the bus wires per the chrysler "no communication" diagnostic. No problems were found. I unplugged all the 5 volt sensors I could with the engine running and the problem still occured. I replaced the cam sensor and it did not fix the issue. So I then replaced the ECM, and the problem still occurs.
At this point I am at a loss where to go. If anybody has experienced this issue I would be grateful for some information.

'85 Yota Crawler-2l diesel, custom built VE (by me), custom T25 turbo. Slow but fun!
'95 Cummins grampa truck, embarrassingly stock
'12 Cummins, deleted

Last edited by Yotadzl; 07-25-2017 at 08:53 AM.

Old 07-25-2017, 10:40 PM   #2
diesel_importer

Name: diesel_importer
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
I had a customers truck with loose connector that plugs into the interior fuse box. It was losing comm with pcm/ecm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 07-26-2017, 03:49 PM   #3
Yotadzl

Member`s Gallery
I came across some info about that. I pulled the connector apart and checked the pins, no problem found. I'm assuming it was loose where the two halves are bolted together, not in the fuse box? I have now replaced the PCM with a used one and it still happens. Unhooked the alternator and it sill dies. I ran the engine with the Cummins VP44 bypass tool and the engine stays running, bit the ECM will intermittently lose communication with the scan tool. Beating my head against the wall with this one.

'85 Yota Crawler-2l diesel, custom built VE (by me), custom T25 turbo. Slow but fun!
'12 Cummins, deleted

Old 07-27-2017, 08:19 AM   #4
jlbayes

Name: jlbayes
Member`s Gallery
Have access to a drb III?

P1694 No Bus Message Received From Companion Module - OBDII Error Codes - Mopar1973Mans Dodge Cummins Forum

Old 07-27-2017, 09:25 AM   #5
Yotadzl

Member`s Gallery
Yep thats what I have been using. And WiTech with a DRB emulator. This thing is driving me insane. Thanks for the info. It looks like the Chrysler diagnostic routine I have ran through already though.

'12 Cummins, deleted

Last edited by Yotadzl; 07-27-2017 at 09:28 AM.

Old 07-27-2017, 11:32 AM   #6
dieselbeef

Name: dieselbeef
Title: dick doggin
Member`s Gallery
welcome to the club

01 2500 4x4 quad cab all stock/drag comp

07.5 3500 4x4 dually 4 dr 6.7 d&j extreme, fleece cheetah, gorend triple, cat filters,

rip wrongway...

Old 07-27-2017, 01:18 PM   #7
jlbayes

Name: jlbayes
Member`s Gallery
I wonder if it is killing the asd relay when the pcm loses the info from the ecm.

Old 07-27-2017, 03:26 PM   #8
Yotadzl

Member`s Gallery
I'm not real sure how to verify that. I do know the ECM is not losing power or ground when it dies.

'12 Cummins, deleted

Old 07-31-2017, 06:22 PM   #9
Yotadzl

Member`s Gallery
Just an update. I'm pretty sure that I am dealing with a second defective "reman" ECM. I isolated the engine from the rest of the truck by disconnecting the two connectors on the firewall, then jumping power to the required circuits. This eliminates any chance of CCD bus, fuse box, PCM, ETC. causing the issue. The engine runs fine until it gets hot, then starts intermittently cutting out and dying. If I run a hose on the ECM for a minute or so to cool it down, it starts and runs fine until the ECM gets hot again.

On another note, does anybody have a good source for replacement ECMs? I seem to be striking out.

'12 Cummins, deleted

Old 07-31-2017, 07:53 PM   #10
Mark Nixon

Name: Mark Nixon
Title: No Savior among the flesh
Member`s Gallery
There are very few people who are actually "rebuilding" these ECMs.
To me, it seems like most of the big name suppliers are actually scooping up all of the cheap ones, even core stashes, and just offering a warranty, using the buyers as a guinea pigs to diagnose issues.

I think both Gary and Yotadzl may both be victims of this scenario and I suggest y'all put their "warranty" to the test.

That being said, with the mortality rate of the 2nd gen ECMs, you'll get proficient at R&R-ing them quickly.

Mark.

Old 07-31-2017, 08:41 PM   #11
dieselbeef

Member`s Gallery
well mine came from flagship and theyre real cool about the whole warranty thing,,except transit time to and fro cost me almost 3 weeks so far...I should've went with someone closer..at least in fl..maybe turnaround would've been better.
you understand this crap better than me...I cant unhook anything and make the truck run...idk wtf im doing..even tho im getting some good help im trying like heck

07.5 3500 4x4 dually 4 dr 6.7 d&j extreme, fleece cheetah, gorend triple, cat filters,

rip wrongway...

Old 08-07-2017, 01:47 PM   #12
Yotadzl

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Nixon View Post
There are very few people who are actually "rebuilding" these ECMs.
To me, it seems like most of the big name suppliers are actually scooping up all of the cheap ones, even core stashes, and just offering a warranty, using the buyers as a guinea pigs to diagnose issues.

I think both Gary and Yotadzl may both be victims of this scenario and I suggest y'all put their "warranty" to the test.

That being said, with the mortality rate of the 2nd gen ECMs, you'll get proficient at R&R-ing them quickly.

Mark.
You are spot on Mark. That is basically what I was finding with ECMs through my connections. Turned out to be a 2nd defective "reman" ECM. Just so strange that it acted almost exactly like the original failed ECM. Like usual though, I learned a few good lessons along the way.

'12 Cummins, deleted

Old 08-07-2017, 01:49 PM   #13
dieselbeef

Member`s Gallery
im still waiting on flagship..they are so f/n slow I bought another truck to get my biz back on track

rip wrongway...

Old 08-07-2017, 01:49 PM   #14
Yotadzl

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselbeef View Post
well mine came from flagship and theyre real cool about the whole warranty thing,,except transit time to and fro cost me almost 3 weeks so far...I should've went with someone closer..at least in fl..maybe turnaround would've been better.
you understand this crap better than me...I cant unhook anything and make the truck run...idk wtf im doing..even tho im getting some good help im trying like heck
Search "stand alone 24 valve cummins" on YouTube. Thats where I got the info on "hot wiring" the engine. I've been doing this for a lot of years, but there is still new things I learn on an almost daily basis.

'12 Cummins, deleted

Old 08-07-2017, 04:15 PM   #15
biggy238

Name: biggy238
Member`s Gallery
Capacitor plague - Wikipedia

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

05.5 Campanella White TDi Jetta 5spd 45.5MPG
-Little Sexy
'10 Silver F250 CCLB 4X4 6.4L cummins Swapped
Insta @trash.panda250

Old 08-08-2017, 05:04 PM   #16
Yotadzl

Member`s Gallery
Interesting....

'12 Cummins, deleted

Closed Thread