Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Sled Pulling
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Sled Pulling From Street to Pro-Mod, get your Sled Pulling fix here!

Closed Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 12:09 AM   #1
Inbred Inline

Name: Inbred Inline
Title: Bastard child builder
Member`s Gallery
GM 9.5 IFS durability?

Has anyone been having any issues with the GM IFS center unit holding together in limited pro? Have seen a couple broken D60s which has me wondering. Probably going to end up putting RCVs in my truck just wondering if I should do a 11.5 front at the same time and be done with it.
2000 Chevy CCSB C3500 3.0 Pro Stock 4x4 "Inbred Inline"-broken junk

Old 08-01-2017, 12:16 PM   #2
JWhite

Name: JWhite
Title: Trained monkey
Member`s Gallery
At what power is that class?

The r&p are pretty strong, the factory slide collar is junk.

Old 08-01-2017, 01:12 PM   #3
takedown95

Name: takedown95
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
I've seen the shafts break before the center section breaks but then you always have to replace both shafts. Occasionally, I've seen the center section have issues if it's a violent driveline breakage somewhere else.

I'd stay away from the 11.5. Its a good quality axle but it's a pain to set up compared to a F106 front. They cost about the same and I would venture to guess you could maybe get a F106 for cheaper.

Old 08-01-2017, 01:13 PM   #4
kjpcummins

Name: kjpcummins
Member`s Gallery
Have you priced a ifs 11.5 aam? Im looking into building a ifs Dana 80 center with rcv outers.

Old 08-01-2017, 05:05 PM   #5
Inbred Inline

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by takedown95 View Post
I've seen the shafts break before the center section breaks but then you always have to replace both shafts. Occasionally, I've seen the center section have issues if it's a violent driveline breakage somewhere else.

I'd stay away from the 11.5. Its a good quality axle but it's a pain to set up compared to a F106 front. They cost about the same and I would venture to guess you could maybe get a F106 for cheaper.

Are you talking about a IFS 106 center or a complete fds 75 straight axle assembly?

I haven't found a price on the 11.5 yet, I might get around to that tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 08-02-2017, 12:33 PM   #6
takedown95

Name: takedown95
Member`s Gallery
I was talking about a F106 straight axle in terms of cost comparison to a 11.5 IFS.

I would still take a straight over IFS for a F106. You may not break the center section but those shafts seem like they break often and from what I understand if one breaks you have replace both.

If you are looking for IFS 11.5 or IFS/Straight F106 I think Proformance pros carries all three (Including the straight F106). Although you may not buy one from them at least you can get a cost comparison in relative form.

Last edited by takedown95; 08-02-2017 at 12:34 PM. Reason: typo

Old 08-03-2017, 10:14 AM   #7
cfunk

Name: cfunk
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inbred Inline View Post
Has anyone been having any issues with the GM IFS center unit holding together in limited pro? Have seen a couple broken D60s which has me wondering. Probably going to end up putting RCVs in my truck just wondering if I should do a 11.5 front at the same time and be done with it.
So far we have not had any issues with the IFS on our truck (knock on wood). In 4 years have we have never broken a stock coupler or anything on the track. Replaced one right side shaft that had a slight twist in it when we took it apart to look things over one time. We do check the CV's for backlash after every pass and replace them as soon as they start to get sloppy. We built a mechanical setup to engage the coupler so you know for certain the coupler is fully engaged every pass. It is my belief that most all issues with breakage on these come from the slide coupler not being fully engaged to start a run or from shock loading that starts elsewhere in the driveline.

Old 08-03-2017, 10:33 AM   #8
Inbred Inline

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfunk View Post
So far we have not had any issues with the IFS on our truck (knock on wood). In 4 years have we have never broken a stock coupler or anything on the track. Replaced one right side shaft that had a slight twist in it when we took it apart to look things over one time. We do check the CV's for backlash after every pass and replace them as soon as they start to get sloppy. We built a mechanical setup to engage the coupler so you know for certain the coupler is fully engaged every pass. It is my belief that most all issues with breakage on these come from the slide coupler not being fully engaged to start a run or from shock loading that starts elsewhere in the driveline.

I have never broken a stock slider however I have twisted off a couple short shafts it goes over. I have the posilock cable on mine and being a 90s Chevy front end it has a independent indicator switch that works very well for telling when it's in gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 08-09-2017, 12:21 PM   #9
duramaxzak

Name: duramaxzak
Title: Rookie!!!
Member`s Gallery
I have ran a GM 9.25 ifs for a few years and have only broke stock cv shafts when my main shaft in the transfer case broke sending all power to the front wheels. I do have the Fleece axle shafts, Elocker and this year upgraded to the RCV cv shafts.

- Danville performance, Mark.
- Suncoast transmission's, Andrew.
- Wehrli custom fab, Jason.
- Profab, Rick
- Turbo performance, Levi.
- HSP, Joe and Dave.
- SoCal diesel.

Closed Thread