water/meth?

Most use water injection for EGT control; methanol makes it much less effective at that.

So run down the track on straight water, and add meth until the EGT's or boost gets to a point you're uncomfortable with.

Perhaps Grant will chime in here soon, but I have been told to never go over 50/50 performance wise, I was also told that Meth does actually have some cooling effect when used in moderation I believe it was 13 to 15% meth to water is the best for cooling even better then straight water alone.

BBD

Talked to a guy with a 12v with mild mods this weekend who said he ran 40% for towing and it cooled just as good as water. With not too much timing, I've heard that it makes power up to 60-70%. Don't add nitromethane...bad idear.

Actually the meth delays the onset of quench. That is directly from Matt snows mouth. Running a mix adds power, and actually cools better than straight water. I tested that using washer fluid and or water on a 2200 mile journey. The washer fluid worked best, and you got a performance gain to boot.

straight water works very well. You can get a little more cooling, and a few more HP's using a mix is all. I ran more water through my motor on the trip than I did diesel. LOL that was one clean ass motor at the end of the trip.

I actually didn't make more power with w/m but I made 25ftlbs more torque on a dyno. Altho in all fairness I was running this really big a$$ nozzle into the intake before the turbo so I think that may have been actually hurting me.

Actually the meth delays the onset of quench. That is directly from Matt snows mouth. Running a mix adds power, and actually cools better than straight water. I tested that using washer fluid and or water on a 2200 mile journey. The washer fluid worked best, and you got a performance gain to boot.

How would meth delay "quench"? What would that mean?

My imagination says that meth in moderation drops EGT's in the same way that advanced timing drops EGT's; it causes more of the injected fuel to burn faster and puts more heat into the piston instead of out the exhaust port.

I don't have any idea how one would test that short of real expensive trial and error, and a lot of that field testing has been limited to straight water due to class regulations.

As for the windshield washer fluid, I've never seen any in Southern California or Southern Arizona that isn't the "32 Degree" stuff, ie. water with blue dye. I have seen some windshield washer fluid with weird "bug dissolver" science-project chemicals added in to it, which I murphically assume turn into varnish and phosgene when burned. I've always been able to find straight methanol more reliably than water/ meth windshield washer fluid, I would think that a lot of the sunbelt is that way.

straight water works very well. You can get a little more cooling, and a few more HP's using a mix is all. I ran more water through my motor on the trip than I did diesel. LOL that was one clean ass motor at the end of the trip.

Are you watching you oil for fizzy water contamination running that much water? Notice any?

I saw none whatsoever.

I can't explain it since Matt and I had the conversation last June. But, from what Matt was saying, quench is when you basically put so much water in, that your starting to put out the flame propagation and lose power. The addition of Methanol, allows you to run more water while not starting to put out the flame. More water = more cooling. Make sense? I am by far not an expert, maybe we can get one of the engineers in here to explain.

32deg washer fluid is worth 50hp on mine and a 50/50 water meth mix is worth close to 60hp. I have 2 625ml nozzles in the intake horn. Also playing with when the injection comes on can be worth around 6-8hp. 25psi for the street and 15 or so for the dyno. It will detonate if you let it come in to soon. Or let it come on at moderate fueling on the street.

Ive also been told by engineers at work to get the nozzles out of the intake and install them into the outlet of the charge air cooler so to better atomize and not puddle when it hits the other side of the intake inside.

i have had good luck with -20 washer fluid. it isnt a huge power adder, (injectors vs. w/m and injectors it only made 25hp more on the dyno) but will lowers egt's 250+*.

so the dyno on snows web site is not average gain by any means...they claim 71hp increase and in this thread its looking more like 25hp

so the dyno on snows web site is not average gain by any means...they claim 71hp increase and in this thread its looking more like 25hp

that sounds about right. my dyno numbers were made on -20 washer fluid which is 40/60 - 30/70. im sure snow was using "boost juice" which is 50/50.

more methanol= more hp, but dosnt cool as well.
more water= better cooling, but makes less hp.

Back