JD series 70

99xlstroker

All Go and No show
Im about to rebuild a JD 70 tractor. is there anything to know before i tear into it? its just going to be a basic restoration.

maybe a lil more power if possible

Almost everything is still available through John Deere for these tractors. I highly recommend ordering the parts catalog as every nut, bolt, washer, etc is detailed in them.

If you need anything, let me know. I have a few sources for used parts as well as new for 2 cylinders. :)

Your local Deere dealer...Just make sure you specify that it is a 70 Diesel as they have their own separate parts book.....As I recall, they are around 30 dollars or so, but the information in those books is gold.

Get the parts book and service manual on CD. The CD is usually cheaper and it's nice to be able to print specific pages for use and destruction in the shop. I've been through several 720 diesels, a 720 gas and a 620 gas. If you need any help shoot me a pm. Been there done that!

If you are looking for more power on a 70 you will need the updated 720/730 pistons and modified injectors to match. The 70 had 10 mm pumps and the later 720/730 tractors had 13 mm pumps. It's possible to see 75 hp from a 70 if you know the right tricks. With the stock fuel system they usually peak out around 60 hp.

Back