Differential Dilemma

Rollin Coal02

Im in the process of regearing my D80 and D60, trying to make is more puller friendly. Putting in 4.88's. I also just installed a triple disc clutch so i have already spent quite a bit of money.

I drive the truck maybe 10K a year and 5-10 Hooks.

My dilemma is on what axles and lockers to go with.

For axles i was originally thinking 300m 37 spline d80 axles and Chromo 35 spline 60 axles. but that is getting to be pretty pricey.

The other option is to do 35 spline chromo front and rear axles which will be a little more cost effective. and maybe 35 spline 300m down the road.

Is there much of a strength increase from 35 spline to 37 spline, and 32 spline to 35 spline?

The other thing is what locker to go with. ARB is out of the question, Too pricey and I don't like the idea of having to push a button to get traction. I was originally dead set on the Detroit locker for the rear and Truetrac for the front. And after doing some reading not many people like the locker for pulling. Which leads me to the true trac front and rear.

Whats everyones opinion?

I wouldn't go with a Detroit, for the rear at least. If/when you break a shaft you'll shatter the central clutch gear in the Detroit basically making it a spool. Warranty is a joke and replacement parts are very difficult to come by and are nearly the same price as a new complete unit. I'm a fan of spools, granted I've never hooked a sled. I've run nothing but spools in my Jeeps and street driven rigs. Just need to keep that in mind in the snow and rain.

If you want to drive it and keep it cheap weld the front and leave the front axles alone. The front will take lots of abuse in stock form. And if you leave the disconnect (vac or cable) you can still drive it on the road as long as you don't drive in 4x4 on pavement. As far as the rear, I wouldn't recommend a chromoly axle. I had issues with Yukon 35 splines. I wouldn't skimp in the rear.

Yukon has been bought and sold a few times over the last couple years, so they've changed who/how their axles are made as few times as well. I don't remember who, but someone on pirate4x4 did a comparison test and found that a few runs of Yukons were actually weaker than a stock shaft due to the material used and overhardening: shafts became brittle.

Back