Turbo damage?

I will tell you now, if you plan on doing a rebuild plan on it taking forever to get the charger apart. I rebuilt my S475 and S366 on my 06 and it took me four hours to get them apart. The rebuild only took 30 min. Get the rebuild kit from Jeff, and a good wheel, take it apart on Friday and start soaking it. Make sure you have a good set of snap ring pliers, with a long reach. I thought I did and ended up having to make something work so I could finish. I also was not driving the truck every day.

Yeah, I remember trying to pull the housings to get it clocked correctly when I installed it. I even posted on here mid task because I thought I had to be missing something, but no, I was doing it right, it was just a pain!

The other option I've been thinking about is "upgrading" the turbine side while it's off. One I was looking at was a new turbine housing opened up with a 67mm wheel/shaft, full rebuild kit with a billet compressor wheel, stock sized, for $500.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

So that has always been a question/concern of mine. If a compressor wheel is removed from the shaft, work performed, and the wheel reinstalled, the assembly is now unbalanced. Much less removing a wheel, installing a new wheel, also resulting in an unbalanced assembly.

In my small mind, any assembly that spins over 100,000 rpm should always be balanced.

So you don’t loose down time why not just pick up another 351, I see them on bookface for 250 almost every day. By the time you buy a wheel and a rebuild kit and factor in your time to go threw it I’d think you’d be money ahead.

I'm going to try a new-to-me wheel from Snedge. Still may go ahead and keep an eye out for another turbo to pop up close by, then if something happens, just swap them out!

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Back