Opinions on the 472sxe

I was told I had too much oil going through it. I have a 6an line and no restrictor. I need a 4an line with I forgot the size.

Has anyone thrown a 72sxe wheel and cover on an "older" style s400 and possibly made a more reliable one?

Last edited:
Turbos fail from one of a few reasons....

Over pressured

Over speed

Over and under oiling.

Over heated

Drain restrictions.

70 psi at sea level is the max capability in a perfect world.

It's better suited well below that. If you want boost psi, you need compounds.

That same 70 psi at any appreciable elevation will warp speed the failure caused by over speed, and pressure.

I can't imagine the drive psi at that boost, I'd bet it's near 90-100 with no gates or decent size housing.

These turbos are basically flawless if properly installed and lubricated with boost and drive within map efficiency.

These turbos are basically flawless if properly installed and lubricated with boost and drive within map efficiency.[/QUOTE said:
So is -4an the recommended oil feed size? And would drain size matter? I wouldn't think it would.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turbos fail from one of a few reasons....

Over pressured

Over speed

Over and under oiling.

Over heated

Drain restrictions.

70 psi at sea level is the max capability in a perfect world.

It's better suited well below that. If you want boost psi, you need compounds.

That same 70 psi at any appreciable elevation will warp speed the failure caused by over speed, and pressure.

I can't imagine the drive psi at that boost, I'd bet it's near 90-100 with no gates or decent size housing.

These turbos are basically flawless if properly installed and lubricated with boost and drive within map efficiency.

Over pressured? Don't think the pressure has much to do with it, rather it's the overspeed that occurs as the pressure ratio climbs off the map. And there should be no issue "over oiling" as long as you're running factory oil pressure. Using a 6an vs 16an feed will make no difference in the amount of oil that is forced through the thrust and journals, that's all dictated by pressure.

So is -4an the recommended oil feed size? And would drain size matter? I wouldn't think it would.

Actually it does matter, the -4 is under engine oil psi and the drain is a simple gravity drain, the drain must be big enough to gravity drain what the inlet gives it.

-4 inlet don't equal a -4 drain......

Over pressured? Don't think the pressure has much to do with it, rather it's the overspeed that occurs as the pressure ratio climbs off the map. And there should be no issue "over oiling" as long as you're running factory oil pressure. Using a 6an vs 16an feed will make no difference in the amount of oil that is forced through the thrust and journals, that's all dictated by pressure.

Pressure has everything to do with it, too high boost or drive psi ruins thrust bearings in short order, too high oil psi over loads the drain capability along with pushing oil past the sealing rings..

psi out of a -6 is definitely not the same as psi out of a -4. PSI IS PRESSURE PER SQUARE INCH. Bigger office let's more psi and volume out. Check with a Guage after the fitting before the turbo, you will be amazed

Last edited:
Actually it does matter, the -4 is under engine oil psi and the drain is a simple gravity drain, the drain must be big enough to gravity drain what the inlet gives it.

-4 inlet don't equal a -4 drain......

Thank you. Is -4 the recommended spec for the feed? Yeah I have a drain quite a bit larger than -4 currently on my s400.

My drive pressure at 65psi of boost is about 75-80 I have a light on my gauge set at 85 and it has never lit up. And the drain is plentiful and straight down into the block. They still might warranty it. But I bought the same turbo. This time with a -4an I'm made sure that if it fails again with the -4 there will be no question asked warranty on it. I have a 1.1 housing spools pretty damn quick.

Last edited:
My drive pressure at 65psi of boost is about 75-80 I have a light on my gauge set at 85 and it has never lit up. And the drain is plentiful and straight down into the block. They still might warranty it. But I bought the same turbo. This time with a -4an I'm made sure that if it fails again with the -4 there will be no question asked warranty on it. I have a 1.1 housing spools pretty damn quick.

You need a bigger housing. And or less over all boost psi

Below is the direct quoted information provided by Borg Warner Turbo Systems, it is my recommendation based on hundreds of passes dyno testing and track testing S400 frame turbochargers to use a -6AN feed line and a drain tube assembly.

Oiling systems overview for Borg Warner journal-bearing turbochargers:

Inlet:

All S200/300/400/500 ‘SX’ and ‘SX-E’ units are equipped with ¼”NPT female oil inlet ports. The correct size for the line would obviously be ¼” i.d., or, “-4” in either AN or JIC terminology. There is neither a need, nor a good reason, to use a smaller line, but, on the larger units (S400/S500), we will often recommend a “-6” line.

Outlet:

For reference, all S200/300/400/500 units are specified for .750”/19mm oil drain plumbing. Typically, the mistake is made, not in the hose selection, as, for example, a “-12” drain hose is correct for a .750”/19mm oil drain, but in the adapting fitting selection. If you examine even the best fittings on the market, a “-12” AN adaptor fitting generally has an internal bore of something like .500”/13mm, which in itself, now poses a 50% drain restriction over the engineered structure. It’s far, far worse when an installer selects an ‘inexpensive’ -10AN oil drain ‘kit’. The inner diameters of those can be as small as .312”/8mm, which is a significant restriction.

For that reason, we actually do not recommend AN-style lines and fittings for oil drain, unless they are of sufficient size that the minimum diameter of the entire line structure (including all fittings and adaptors) is no smaller than the drain port, which, in some cases, is difficult or impossible. In such cases, we believe the best method is to use oil drain tube assemblies, along with the properly sized oil cooler hose, to complete a proper oil drain assembly.

Below is the direct quoted information provided by Borg Warner Turbo Systems, it is my recommendation based on hundreds of passes dyno testing and track testing S400 frame turbochargers to use a -6AN feed line and a drain tube assembly.

Do you have any drain info on the 4094r? 12v block only having one drain hole kinda limits not running AN of some sort to the pan

Pressure has everything to do with it, too high boost or drive psi ruins thrust bearings in short order, too high oil psi over loads the drain capability along with pushing oil past the sealing rings..

psi out of a -6 is definitely not the same as psi out of a -4. PSI IS PRESSURE PER SQUARE INCH. Bigger office let's more psi and volume out. Check with a Guage after the fitting before the turbo, you will be amazed

As far as boost yes too high and the turbo will overspeed and eat the thrust. I will admit I have heard of some small manifold chargers in big compound setups wearing out the thrust in short order from interstage pressure. His oil pressure should be fine if it's a factory system.

Pressurized fluid in a vessel exerts the same pressure on all sides, regardless of how big the container is. So yes the pressure in a -6 is the same as a -4. But the -6 has the capability to flow more volume at that pressure, but the oil volume passing through the charger is gonna be dictated by the thrust and journal passages as they are much smaller.

Back