Head work?

Light It Up

Ok Im getting my head oringed but before the head is cut I need to know what gasket to go with. Im thinking a .020 over marine.

Now I need to know where to cut the rings and how much protrusion I need? Also Im gana need new valve stems when I take my valves out but what about valve guides. If someone could help me out with this Id appreciate it. Thanks

BR

IDK I just called a machine shop to get a better understanding on the whole machining of the head and they said in order to clean the head up after they get done which I want them to they would need to pull the valve and said they would ruin the VAVLE STEMS.? He was also talking about I would need to decide on a valve guid I wanted.? Idk much about this and I know you guys do so I thought I would ask.

IDK I just called a machine shop to get a better understanding on the whole machining of the head and they said in order to clean the head up after they get done which I want them to they would need to pull the valve and said they would ruin the VAVLE STEMS.? He was also talking about I would need to decide on a valve guid I wanted.? Idk much about this and I know you guys do so I thought I would ask.

The stem is the long part of the valve...I don't know how you could ruin them by pulling the valves out of the head. I think he means the seal. :what: I don't have anything done to the guides on my head, but hopefully someone else can chime in.

Btw - 12v or 24v?

Its 24v sorry. Ya he must have meant seal cuz he saild they would have to mark everyting that way the valve would go in the exact same way they came out. I guess I should ask if the valves are taken out what all do you need to replace? Thanks j-rod

I just ran into these issues with a machine shop that had never seen a cummins head!

there are no valve guides in a cummins head, so they have to machine and install one, but there a different kinds! I would get cast iron with a lip if possible!

you will need valve stem seals, from snedge

and as far as the gasket i guess it depends how much they take off, I would wait to order the gasket and tell the machine shop to keep up with how much it takes to clean it up!! then order accordingly!

stock gasket < 0.010"
Marine > .010"

No valve guides. There is a repair insert for failed guide bores but the 24V doesn't have press in guides in stock form. If all of your valves are fine, and not much is needed to true up the surface. The valves, seats, and guides will not be an issue.

Yup definately get your stuff from Snedge! He can get you everything to get it back to new. If you are you going to deck the head don't worry about using a thicker gasket for compression purposes, the head is flat other than the valve shroud so it doesn't change compression ratio when you deck it.

Back