F650 vp44 nightmare

brixen348

So the truck in question is a 2000 ford F650 with a 24v In it. The pump bolts came loose and the pump got messed up. So I bought a vp44 off a running dodge pickup and put it on and I can not get it running. I have good fuel to the vp, when cranking I have high pressure when cracked at the head, I can run it on starting fluid or propane and crack Injectors and get fuel spraying all over but it will no run on its own. Timing is good, correct key, not squashed. Any ideas on if the dodge pump works on a industrial motor? Used blue chips diagnostic and did the hot wire, hear the pump clicking but no dice. Also called bluechip and they said they've had people put Industrial pumps on dodges and they run fine but are doggy. I'm about ready to put a ve pump on it and call it a day. Any help appreciated!

How loose were the bolts? maybe it jumped a tooth or two on the gear? just a thought....

Pump was already pulled when I got the truck but everyone claims the gear can't be moved without removing the gear cover and the cover hasn't been removed. Before I installed the pump I tried jumping a tooth just to verify and I could not get it lifted up enough to jump a tooth so I'm gonna assume it's right

I believe that to be true by hand. But with the engine running im sure it could. How did you find out the pump was loose? oil leak or shut down on the driver?

I will pull the oil filler and see if I can line up the marks something worth checking. And I purchased the truck recently with the pump already removed. I got it from a milk distribution company that delivers to schools. The driver was going down the road and it shut off, they had it towed to a shop and the shop found the pump basically hanging off the gear housing so they pulled it off and the company decided it was just time for a new truck so put it up for sale. The gear housing was not damaged at all and the hole and keyway looked great on the gear. The pump was damaged because the mount holes were all egged out and the "snout" where the o ring is got cracked. The pump I got for it I personally pulled from a running dodge truck.

I would also be looking for a possible chipped gear. My thought was that pump can dance around all it wants and the motor will still run because of firing off the crank signal.. when it decides to jump a tooth and inject fuel at the wrong time game over..... not sure whats behind the oil filter for timing marks but you may have to pull the cover on this one. If you find true piston tdc you could look in the window where the breather is and the keyway should be at 12.:00 if i remember right. Also i think 1 tooth is like 6* and pumps are picky on timing. Let us know what you find, good luck...

Oil filler, no t in there lol not the filter. The ford's have the oil filter tube where the breather is on a dodge. And Isnt there timing marks on the cam gear and pump gear that should line up? As far as blue chip and the industrial computer I'm not sure, honestly the first vp44 I've ever messed with lol. I tend to stick with 12 valves and common rails, because of the nightmares with vp that I hear about. Then I got a pipe dream of building a super truck or whatever they call em for pulling the trailer but now I'm having second thoughts. I have access to a ve gear housing and gear, if I can find a pump maybe I should just do that.

Yes there are timing marks on the crank,cam and pump gear but the cover needs to be removed to see them....i would also hook up a scanner and check for codes and look at the data, were looking the pump because it was missing and they said that was the problem.....But was that the only problem? Did you know the seller?

On our 2000 650, we changed the injection pump with blue chip 44 and fass.

Results, still gutless. Tried an edge box, would not work.

Just a shot in the dark, here, but I wonder if the replacement pump is off of a 2001-2002 Dodge with the single sensor (cam only), that may be why it won't work.

Mark.

As said already, I'm pretty sure there is a difference in the pump controls between Dodge and Medium Duty.

The 029 inj pump that came on the vp44 5.9l Ford f650 has software that is different than the software in the Dodge 027 vp44. Parts in the pumps are the same including the PSG - computer . The Bosch 815 test stand installs different soft ware when calibrating pump.

Hey haven't been on in a while, I did solve the issue, I posted it on Craigslist as is LOL I told the fella that bought it that I had put a dodge pump on and wasn't sure if that was the issue or not and he said he'd probably just buy a 029 for it and try that. Still confuses me that when I hot wired the pump it still wouldn't go, because even if there was a difference in pumps that should only throw off the ecm to pump communication. But at any rate, it's no longer my worries. Well, besides the fact it's still sitting in my yard, a month after he bought it...

I pulled a 029 pump off a F650 motor recently. We also installed the pump on a 2001 Dodge to test a pump issue. Zero issues and the truck ran great.

Back