Converter Involuntary Lockup When Cold

biggy238

I've had an annoying issue since going to the triple disc when I assembled the Ford. It was supposed to be a DPC converter but the last time it was out I found Suncoast branding. I had sent it off to be cleaned at DPC when the trans fragged out a couple of years back.

Anyway, if ambient is at or below 59 degrees and the trans is cold soaked, it will apply the clutch right about the 1-2 shift point and shift locked from that point on. It will unlock as expected when slowing down, and I can only get it to do it on the first cold launch. Idling doesn't affect it.
I don't suspect it to be valve body related because this valve body is the same one I've run since 2007 with this trans, and it was sent to firepunk to be cleaned an reassembled.
I can't verify there was an issue before the trans failed because that happened during spring time and this issue only appeared in the later months.
It is not being electronically controlled to do this and the system works as expected with a little heat.

I remember another member having this issue but haven't had the chance to search.
LMK if anyone knows what is causing it

Sent from my motorola one 5G using Tapatalk

Call Phil. He knows some shit about fluid dynamics ( torque conversion). Sounds like a TC issue to me, but the good news is it's spring time and 59 degrees won't be an issue soon.

I haven't called anyone yet, I like to run things by here first. I will update when I have a minute to make some calls.

Call Phil. He knows some shit about fluid dynamics ( torque conversion). Sounds like a TC issue to me, but the good news is it's spring time and 59 degrees won't be an issue soon.
I made a video last night because it had been sitting several days..... It wouldn't do it.

I made a video last night because it had been sitting several days..... It wouldn't do it.

Sometime all I have to do is reply in a thread and shit fixes itself. Wouldn't that be great ? I'd close the shop and start a blog or something. Man's gotta eat.

Sometime all I have to do is reply in a thread and shit fixes itself. Wouldn't that be great ? I'd close the shop and start a blog or something. Man's gotta eat.
This made me smile at the end of a shitty day. I need to come see you some time.

my 02 ran good today too..posted issues yesterday...these pos sit for a week and they wanna die...bad as fkg cattle...

Back