47re slipping clutches fresh rebuild

Mrich0908

I decided to build my first 47re. I put the trans in my truck and I attempted to spin my rear tires loc my tq converter up. I also installed a new to me valve body with a transgo tfpro kit. I could tell almost right away I was slipping through the gears. I put a gauge on the accumulator port and went from 100 psi in manual 1 to 0.
I dropped my pan and there was so much clutch debri . I definitely need to replace the clutches. The material plugged up a new filter immediately. Line pressure in manual 1 went to 0. No movement after that .
I replaced my valve body with my old vb that has a tansgo tf diesel kit in it . That worked flawlessly.
Before install I air checked everything. No leaks . Because I'm running a sonnax super servo I had my direct clutch tolerances at .130 could this be my issue? To loose ? ANY ideas.

It was fully functional untill the filter becomes so plugged it looses line pressure. Eventhough my accumulator port gauge reads 100 psi in manual 1 the transmission feels like it has no line pressure in fwd Rev .
I've replaced the filter and fluid twice and I get movement for about 15 minutes until the filter plugs itself again.
I occasionally after i move fwd or back hear the park sprag clicking like it won't go into park then eventually it does.
If I installed the low reverse arm pin backwards. Orings the opposite side what would happen ? That and the direct drive tolerances are my only questionable things that I remember.

Last edited:
It was fully functional untill the filter becomes so plugged it looses line pressure. Eventhough my accumulator port gauge reads 100 psi in manual 1 the transmission feels like it has no line pressure in fwd Rev .
I've replaced the filter and fluid twice and I get movement for about 15 minutes until the filter plugs itself again.
I occasionally after i move fwd or back hear the park sprag clicking like it won't go into park then eventually it does.
If I installed the low reverse arm pin backwards. Orings the opposite side what would happen ? That and the direct drive tolerances are my only questionable things that I remember.
To me it sounds like the forward clutch is dragging and losing material, but I'm not an expert on these by any means.
When do you plan to pull it back out?

Sent from my motorola one 5G using Tapatalk

Did the previous transmission have a catastrophic failure or just need a rebuild?

When I bought my '98 with no engine in it, unbeknownst to me, the previous owner had also blown the tranny, filled up the cooler with trash. I built the tranny and installed a triple disc TC. When I got it running, the hot fluid flushed all the junk out of the cooler and stopped up my filter.

Did the previous transmission have a catastrophic failure or just need a rebuild?

When I bought my '98 with no engine in it, unbeknownst to me, the previous owner had also blown the tranny, filled up the cooler with trash. I built the tranny and installed a triple disc TC. When I got it running, the hot fluid flushed all the junk out of the cooler and stopped up my filter.

No it was perfectly fine. I built it as a toy to make to match
my power with. I went with a triple disk converter billet shafts servos ect the normal stuff in a higher hp 47re. I built it so I wouldn't have a catastrophic failure.
Not only that it was surgically clean when assembled. Even a new cooler and lines .
Side not inwent back to some pictures my rear servo pin was installed properly. I remember I did.
My direct drum was mighty loose though.

To me it sounds like the forward clutch is dragging and losing material, but I'm not an expert on these by any means.
When do you plan to pull it back out?

Asap . I have septic work going on ATM so I can't use my drive way. I'll keep a look out for that . The tolerance was .021 thousands. They moved when I checked them but I was told to make them that tight . You could be right. I was assured that was normal. I guess we will see. You would think I would have move engagement if that were the case and not slip through the clutches.

I'm questioning if i put my pump gear in properly or backwards.
Gerotor. I would have to have someone prove there is a backwards.

I didn't know they shipped loose when new and have to pull mine back apart because the cover wasn't torqued.

Gerotor. I would have to have someone prove there is a backwards.

I didn't know they shipped loose when new and have to pull mine back apart because the cover wasn't torqued.

I put a a new bushing in my pump inspected the assembly and reassembled. Some one told me there was I guess you could call it a counter bore on the side the tq converter enters and had a slight bevele on the other. Im just trying to replay everything in my head . I don't want to reassemble my trans to find out I made the same mistake.

Last edited:
I forgot all about this . My over drive was really hard to get on.i had to use a mallet to seat the od housing and used the bolts to do the last 1/2 inch. When I put my cut intermediate shaft tool fully into the case the tool would got stuck in the case . After I got it out ii remembered it was next to impossible to install but I was told using a mallet was normal. I'm wondering if something happened there.

Did you check the endplay tolerance on the input shaft after you got things assembled?
You sound like my thought process when I have a failure. You will still be better off to get it apart and look at everything methodically. I know it's hard to do when you don't have the ability to just shuck it out in the floor and tear it down.

Did you check the endplay tolerance on the input shaft after you got things assembled?
You sound like my thought process when I have a failure. You will still be better off to get it apart and look at everything methodically. I know it's hard to do when you don't have the ability to just shuck it out in the floor and tear it down.

Yes I did . I dont remember what it was, i do remember it was at the lower end of the end play but with in spec. Ya it's eating me up inside not being able to pull the truck apart.
I didn't know if there was a know this or that , that some one would read this and say o thats a known problem If you don't do this .
I'm a machinist in my 9 to 5 so i was careful to measure and achieve proper tolerances but obviously I screwed something up.

Last edited:
Yes I did . I dont remember what it was, i do remember it was at the lower end of the end play but with in spec. Ya it's eating me up inside not being able to pull the truck apart.
I didn't know if there was a know this or that , that some one would read this and say o thats a known problem If you don't do this .
I'm a machinist in my 9 to 5 so i was careful to measure and achieve proper tolerances but obviously I screwed something up.
I don't remember fighting my overdrive housing like you did. I wish I could do the diagnosis via wire but I have only been in mine and I forget a lot of things without it apart in front of me.

its been awhile since ive been into one of these,but drawing the od housing in doesnt sound normal. i think you may have applied clutch pack when you drew that od housing in. either way something sounds goofed in your od housing. you may get lucky and just be able to pull your od housing while leaving the trans in,but sounds like itll be a bugger getting off now. maybe wrap a strap around it and run a come along to the rear axle. it sucks but ive learned a lot more from fucking shit up than i have from having things go right lol.

its been awhile since ive been into one of these,but drawing the od housing in doesnt sound normal. i think you may have applied clutch pack when you drew that od housing in. either way something sounds goofed in your od housing. you may get lucky and just be able to pull your od housing while leaving the trans in,but sounds like itll be a bugger getting off now. maybe wrap a strap around it and run a come along to the rear axle. it sucks but ive learned a lot more from fucking shit up than i have from having things go right lol.

I would not feel comfortable not cleaning the trans out 100% . If I pulled the OD with out cleaning all the clutch debri I don't see things going great for me . Something will bind up again.
The over drive is the one thing I can think back and say yes that didn't go smooth. The intermediate shaft maybe bound up that's why my 1st gear is just slipping.
Yes making mistakes is definitely part of life.

Looks like 3 available.
8447b7e6b8031b949309110ba519d7a4.jpg

I would start with the overdrive section. It should fall into place. If your overdrive direct clutches are misaligned/fubar it could cause your debri problem and the clicking into park. This is based on the assumption they stay applied all the time, except in overdrive. If they are bound, it would slip in fwd and reverse.

I have zero experience assembling transmissions, if I'm wrong please chime in.

Last edited:
Back