Used oil

For those of you running/mixing used motor oil....

How are you filtering it? How fine of a filter are you using? What ratio are you mixing?

a 50/50 mix of fuel & used oil in warm weather runs fine in my cummins... search filter socks on ebay, I usually run through a 25, 10, then a 5 micron.

Hey I run 100% from about april to october. Between there I switch to 75/25 or 60/40 diesel/trans fluid. Although the trans fluid is new.
mike

Hey also the trans fluid is synthetic.
I also run about the same mix stuff in my 6.2 gm diesel, and my old man in his 02 powerstroke. And a buddy of mine in his 02 powerstroke.
Hydro fluid, trans fluid, ps fluid, all burn pretty clean. Used motor oil is a little smokey at 100%, but like I said I run it 2/3 of the year.

i don't filter the oil at all, i run it straight out of the drain pan, but my drain pan is so clean before i change my oil, i could eat off it, and i only 3-10 gallons at a time, and i haven't had any issues.

i don't filter the oil at all, i run it straight out of the drain pan, but my drain pan is so clean before i change my oil, i could eat off it, and i only 3-10 gallons at a time, and i haven't had any issues.

uhhh, how many miles on the oil before you drain it???

a 50/50 mix of fuel & used oil in warm weather runs fine in my cummins... search filter socks on ebay, I usually run through a 25, 10, then a 5 micron.

yup, I got a 25, 10, 5, 2, 1

I don't know if I'll use them all, I'll probably just use the finer 3, and when the 5 goes bad, I'll swap in the 10, then the 25, then get a whole new set.

Does anyone use veggie oil? I'm filtering some peanut oil that my friends used for deep fried turkey. I'm just running it through a bunch of layers of paper towels, since everything in it was just food anyways. Sound safe?

My 01.5 Cummins likes 50/50 just about year round... mild winters in SC... 10 micron particulate... 10 micron particulate/water.... 2 micron particulate... OC20 centrifuge.... Secret to long term WMO use is filtration :Cheer:

Does anyone use veggie oil? I'm filtering some peanut oil that my friends used for deep fried turkey. I'm just running it through a bunch of layers of paper towels, since everything in it was just food anyways. Sound safe?

DO NOT use veggie oil and waste oil at the same time. Or bio-diesel and waste oil at the same time.
I have ruined countless sets of injectors that way. They dribble, lock up, or jus simply make smoke.
This was all on 12v engines. I do not know what a common-rail would do.

I run waste oil all the time at varying rates. Usually 50% or so. Filtered thru a 25 micron filter, then a 10. After that the filter on the truck can take watever is left. So far, no problems.

Yeah, it makes a milkshake, but I use so little, I don't even notice it.

I had a customer using b2 bio-diesel with wmo and he ruined a set of injectors. That is a 2% soy-base oil with the diesel, and then he had about 50% wmo. I don't trust ANY veggie oil in with wmo. Not even a "little".

Your results may vary.

Never run WVO without a proper veggie oil setup installed on your truck (separate tank, heater, etc). Just dumping WVO in the tank mixing with diesel will reduce the life of your motor. Also never run WVO without excellent filtration, and make sure you trust who you are getting the veggie oil from. Any cleaning chemicals mixed in the oil will harm injectors.

Never run WMO without a centrifuge and a hell of a lot of filtration. Even then, your results may vary.

The key to running any used alternate fuel source - WMO, WVO, Tranny, Hydraulic, etc - is proper filtration. If you aren't filtering it down to 2 micron before you dump it in your tank, you are asking for problems. Also - I think it is safest to run 1 alternate at a time - either veggie, or motor, or tranny. When you start mixing, you start asking for trouble.

Sam

My 01.5 Cummins likes 50/50 just about year round... mild winters in SC... 10 micron particulate... 10 micron particulate/water.... 2 micron particulate... OC20 centrifuge.... Secret to long term WMO use is filtration :Cheer:

Super10brss- I know this is an old thread, but I am in the middle of putting together a setup similar to yours.

Do you have a pic of your setup you could post?

Super10brss- I know this is an old thread, but I am in the middle of putting together a setup similar to yours.

Do you have a pic of your setup you could post?

Philly I would be more than happy to post up a few pics... I need to take a few current ones... so give me a day or two....

Sorry guys it has taken me sooooo long to post this... been working on another pump setup... (I posted this on another forum... but it works here too and I am LAZY :cheer:)

Guys… just wanted to share some (in my opinion) VERY important information for all those running alternative fuels. If you filter… centrifuge… or just transfer any type of fuel from one place to the next. The pump I once used was a 1/3 horse 110 motor that has a custom piece made between it and a GM small block oil pump (like the one that goes in the oil pan) I could only get like 60 to 65 psi max. My OC20 centrifuge likes at least 70 psi and really runs best at 100 or so psi. So thanks to Jeff (JTraik) he turned me onto a Carbonator pump setup. A Carbonator is used in restaurants to “make CO2” I think… any ways the one I am using has a ProCon gear pump and makes ALL the PSI you need for just about any centrifuge. I just purchased two Carbonators off craigslist for $100 shipped :thumbsup: So do your homework and search hard (searchtempest.com is a great way to search craigslist… and of course flea-bay)
IMG_0593.jpg

My set up... (if anyone cares…)
IMG_0597.jpg

IMG_0595.jpg

If you will notice from the 1'st picture here.. you see that my one pump (out) goes down to the filter bank (2nd picture) I can run through the filter back or to the centrifuge just by turning a few switches.... what you can't see is another barrel to the left of all that mess... that barrel holds the "dirty" oil/fuel... I usually run from the "dirty" barrel through the filters back into the "dirty" barrel for 20 or 30 minutes (that gets some crap out) then from the "dirty" barrel through the centrifuge into the "clean" white barrel you can see from the above pictures... then I move my pickup to the "clean" barrel and continue to run through the centrifuge for say an hour or so... With the NEW Carbonator pump I am sure the fuel will be good to go :thumbsup:

Back